• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Trub looks like gelatin after cooling

Slurk

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
OK,
Yesterday I brewed an IPA.
After the cooling there was a larger amount of trubb than normal and it looked/behaved like gelatin ???

Normally I have 0.4 - 0.5 G trubb loss. This time I had 1.0 -1.1 G "trubb-like loss" behaving like (thin) gelatin.
I use Irish Moss and know it causes large gelatin like clumps and it did. But this time there was a gelatin layer that I have never seen before (not thick/compact but thinner though still yelly).
I was in doubt how to proceed :-\ Should I leave this thin gelatin trubb with the larger clumps as a whole in the kettle and loose 1 G or should I try to leave only the large clumps and take the rest into the fermentor?
I have chosen for the last option:
- I am not afraid for any off-flavours due to the trubb
- No infection/contamination: the wort was sterile at that moment
- I am expecting that during the primary, due to the high fermentation activity, the "thin gelatin like" trubb will disappear
- I am expecting that things are going back to normal and after the primary trubb and yeast will drop

Questions:
1. Is this "thin gelatin like" trubb normal after the cooling?
2. What could be an explanation?
3. Any recommendations/thoughts to avoid this?

Some facts:
- beer type, IPA
- malts(Maris Otter Pale Ale/Chrystal/Wheat)
- double infusion mash, batch sparge and 75 min boil
- pellet hops (I used a hop bag)
- 15gr Irish Moss during the last 10 minutes of the boil
- cooled down from 212F to 66F in 20 minutes
- batch size 6.0 Gallons

Regards,
Slurk

Slurk said:

This seems like a lot. I would only use a teaspoon or so for 5 gallons.

Another name for refined Irish Moss is Carrageenan. This is a thickener for everything from soups to ice cream.

Slurk said:
Some facts:
- beer type, IPA
- malts(Maris Otter Pale Ale/Chrystal/Wheat)
- double infusion mash, batch sparge and 75 min boil
- pellet hops (I used a hop bag)
- cooled down from 212F to 66F in 20 minutes
- batch size 6.0 Gallons

Regards,
Slurk

Anything different in these facts compared to most batches?  Maybe the water chemistry and high-hopping rate aligned with the stars to break out more (or different) proteins this time? 

[quote Another name for refined Irish Moss is Carrageenan. This is a thickener for everything from soups to ice cream.
[/quote]

Thanks BrewFun!
I never knew that Carrageenan was refined Irish Moss. What I do remember is that scientists have raised concerns about Carrageenan safety in food and that Europe has banned the use of it in infant food.

MaltLicker said:
Anything different in these facts compared to most batches?  Maybe the water chemistry and high-hopping rate aligned with the stars to break out more (or different) proteins this time?

Thanks Maltlicker!
Yes, 3 things were different compared to most other batches:
- I used Maris Otter for the first time (69% on the grain bill)
- a 35 - 40% higher IBU due to the use of hops with a higher alpha acid percentage this time (not the amount/weight of hops).
- I used 5gr (0.18 oz) of Gypsum in stead off 2gr (0.07 oz)

Perhaps it influenced the break out of more or different proteins.

At the moment full "Krausen" in the fermentor;)

R, Slurk

Back