• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Jalapeno flavor or Spice??

sunadmn

Apprentice
Reaction score
Afternoon all,

I am working on a pale ale recipe for summer and wanted to add some Jalapeno to it but wasn't sure how to add it correctly. I am going to assume it would fit into the Misc Item category but would it be a spice or a flavor?

Thanks,
-Stephen

A recipe I really like based on a recipe by Sundowner for a Jalapeno Cream Ale.  I made this 2 times now and it turns out a well balanced and is a crowd pleaser.

Roast 4 large Jalapenos on grill or under broiler till skin blackens then turn till all sides are black. Put peppers in a brown paper bag till cooled. Peel off skin and Slice and soak in enough Vodka to cover the peppers.  Jalapenos get added at 15 mins left in boil(don't add Vodka just peppers).  3 more roasted jalapenos prepared as above to the secondary for 3-10 days.  Taste starting at 3 days to determine heat desired.  use hop bag to keep from getting too messy.  The heat will slowly dissipate.  So drink up as soon as ready for best pepper/heat taste.

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: US-05 or Wyeast 1056
Yeast Starter: yes
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.052
Final Gravity: 1.011
IBU: 42.6
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 4 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 days @ 68F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 days @ 68F
7.00 lb Domestic 2 Row