• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Citrus Bomb IPA

ILB

Apprentice
Reaction score
I just purchased Nate Smith's Citrus Bomb IPA extract recipe kit from MoreBeer and entered the info into BeerSmith. The recipe indicates  IBUs of between 55-60, but the software is indicating it will be over 100 IBUs. The recipe calls for 1.5 oz of Magnum hops for 60 minutes, 1 oz of Columbus for 30 minutes, 1 oz each of Columbus, Citra and Centennial for 1 minute. Has anyone tried this recipe? I am curious to know how it turned out and why the software is showing twice the IBUs.

Just a thought:
Are you using the same bitterness standard in BeerSmith as your recipe? Tinseth is the default method used in BrewSmith.
There are several methods for calculating IBU bitterness.  BeerSmith offers Tinseth, Rager and Garetz to be used when calculating bitterness. You can set the method to be used for calculating the bitterness of your recipe using the Bitterness tab of the Options command under the Tools menu.

Regards,
Slurk

The Morebeer numbers look wonky.  I entered the recipe and come up with 89 using Tinseth and 106 using Rager (Tools/Options/Bitterness).  Note:  you need to save and close the recipe before changing the bitterness formula option.

You should use the alpha % from the hop packets in the kit and not the recipe page.  I used 14% for both the Magnum 60 minute and Columbus 30 minute.  If the Magnum is 10% AA, IBU does drop 10 points but still not the 55-60 as listed on the kit sheet.

I also entered the 1 minute additions as Aroma bot boil.

Thanks for the feedback! I tried all of that, too. The only way I can get close to the 55-60 IBU indicated on the recipe sheet is if I reduce the Magnum hops to .5 oz versus the 1.5 oz called for in the recipe. I'm just wondering if there is a typo on the recipe. The kit did include 1.5 oz of Magnum, though.

OK, I'm going to toss this out there for discussion - "Hop Utilization".

Seeing as this is an extract recipe according to the OP, the instructions allow for either a partial boil (common extract method) or a full boil (less common extract method). These two methods, all else being equal, will yield very different results concerning hop utilization.

Also making a big difference in hop utilization is how the malt extract is added; if it is all added to the boil at the beginning, as the instructions indicate, hop utilization will be less than if some of the malt extract was reserved for a "late addition", such as 15 minutes from the end of the boil. More sugar in solution = less hop utilization.

Some, if not all of the above may explain the differences you are seeing. It will all come down to how you set up Beersmith, and how you manipulate the ingredients and process.

Very true.  Anyone test-entered that method to see if it's much closer?  I'd be impressed if a supplier provided numbers specific to the partial-boil, all-in method.  I'd guess they just do the standard calculation. 

Back