• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

No bubbles...what is this?

bghost33

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Brewed an all grain low ABV high IBU IPA Saturday, but no bubbles in the airlock. Removed lid from bucket and saw this. What is it and am I in trouble? Did not do an OG reading (dumb, I know).

Make sure your getting a tight seal on the bucket and air lock. Looks like that yeast is very active.

Is goooooood!
It looks to be crazy Krausen....the result of good yeast activity....
ihikeut said:
Make sure your getting a tight seal on the bucket and air lock. Looks like that yeast is very active.
yeah, if you don't have a good seal on that puppy...for one, you could get bad bacteria, but you could also get that goop everywhere. 
Actually, sometimes what we brew looks kinda gross.....but it's the end result that matters.

Welcome to the addiction!

That's happened to me before. It just means you didn't get the lid on right. You may want to go around the edge with a rubber mallet or something.

A good seal is mandatory and one of the reasons why I moved to fermenting in a carboy (or conical for my larger batches). It seems like fermenting buckets have a tendency to leak. Also, make sure the airlock is full enough to activate the mechanism. There have been plenty of instances where I've removed the airlock cap and added more liquid.

Back