• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Equipment profile help

jgalak

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Greetings. I am a brand new brewer, just put my first attempt into the primary. I grabbed BeerSmith mobile to try to log the brew, but can't make head or tails of the equipment profiles. Even the terminology is unfamiliar in many cases.

I am trying to brew the AHS Blue Moon clone, an extract recipe with specialty grain. The procedure was to put two gallons water into pot, bring to 155F, turn off heat, steep grains for 25 min, bring to boil, turn off heat, dissolve LME and DME, add another gallon water, bring back to boil, then boil for 30 min adding varying hops and favors. After cooling, move to bucket fermenter, add enough water to make up 5.25gallons (took about 2.25-2.5 more gallons).

Whats the correct equipment profile for this recipe?

Also, is there any place to specify the temperature and duration of the grain steep?  The recipe "type" is set to "extract".

Thanks,
Juliean.

Hi,
  The equipment profile is actually based on your equipment sizes/weights not the recipe.  You should be able to set it up once.  Since you are not doing all grain you can largely ignore the mash section, and need only enter your boil volumes, top up water, and batch size.  In this case your batch size appears to be 5 gallons, and you have about 2.5 gallons of top up water.  I don't know how much you lose to the trub (losses at the end of boil when transferring - i.e. the sludge in the bottom of your boiler) or to the boil itself (boil off) but if you enter estimates for those you should be able to get a good profile.

There is a video here: http://beersmith.com/video on setting up equipment profiles.

Brad

Back