• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Solid Malt

EdOfWV

Apprentice
Reaction score
Newbe,  hello all.
I got some malt powder a while back and it got moisture, probably from high humidity.  Over time unbeknownst to me it has dissolved and turned into a solid block that looks like a piece of caramel candy, but is very hard like hard candy and shatters when it is hit with hammer.
Tastes sort of like a wort from a Mr. Beer can.
Can this result be used to make beer?  I have about 2 - 3 lbs of it and hate to throw it away.  It has been kept in a plastic bag so no rodents/insects have gotten to it, it just turned into a solid blob.
Any help will be appreciated

I appreciate your answers, but try to think of me as one of the "rocket boys".  I know there is both chemistry and science and in my case probably Faith or Luck trying to step out from Mr. Beer, but they have dropped a number of products that I like and I'm ready to press on.
The reply was to "Throw it into the pot". 
What pot? 
Am I to have a wort started before I put this in?
Would putting this in be an exchange for Malt (like how many ounces/lbs to a pot?
How big a pot are we talking about?
What else to put in?  Check with some of the recipes for beginners on this site?
Not wanting to ask for all the secrets, and I know this is so trivial to some of you, but try to remember, when you started.
I have fixed mainframe printers and  Heidelberg tri color printing presses and lots of newsr stuff, but I still have
a little circuit board with one light and one resistor that is a flip flop, made it in electronics school in Kessler to remind me of
Where I came from.

Thanks to any help and ya'l have a great weekend.

With BeerSmith, you can scale a recipe to fit the amount of malt on-hand. Put the chunk of malt into the amount of water required for your scaled recipe and let it sit for a while. Stir. Let it sit for a while. Stir. Repeat as necessary until the chunk melts. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Add hops. Boil for the time specified in the recipe. Cool. Pour into sanitized fermenter with lots of splashing. Add yeast. Wait two weeks. Siphon into sanitized bucket. Add carbonation sugar. Bottle. Wait two weeks. Refrigerate. Drink.

For a bit of elaboration on the preceding home brewing course, read John Palmer's "How to Brew" at    http://howtobrew.com/

It ain't rocket science.

::)  Thanks to all for your help and "I think" support.  In the service newbies were called "jeeps" and that I am at this.
Semper Six  to all
Have a great weekend.

Back