• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Refrigerator died!

durrettd

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I brewed a Bohemian Pilsner May 19. Pitched about 500 B cells into about 6 gal of wort at 1.050 and 50 F. Put it into my fermentation box set at 50 F. I've found that yeast don't need a lot of instruction or supervision, so I didn't check until Tuesday evening. Apparently, my air conditioner died (apparently dropping a kayak on an air conditioner can degrade its performance). It was 70 F and SG was down to 1.014! I transferred the beer to a dorm fridge at 50 F.

I'd appreciate any ideas for minimizing the damage. Until someone comes up with some magic, I'll hold it at 50 F for another three weeks and press on as if everything was proceeding as planned.

Ideas?

I would think it will be fine.  The only concern is maybe DMS?  Can you sneak a ssample?  Doews it smell and taste OK?  If so, you're idea of 2 weeks at 50 will help clean it up.

Relax, have a homebrew.

That must have been frustrating to find out that your air conditioner died without giving you some early signals.

Your air conditioner could have died the day before Tuesday at the same time the fermentation was not that active longer/stopped. But let's assume it died much earlier in the fermentation process.

I would have been worried about a much larger ester production (due to temperatures around 70F) which is undesirable for a Pilsner and could change the style of the beer. The production of esters is dependent on the type of yeast used. In your case you probably used Southern German or another Pilsner\Lager type of yeast with low sulfur and diacetyl production. However these yeast cultures produce considerably more sulfur/esters at temperatures above their recommended optimum temperatures (+/-55F). I think you have to count on this. On the other hand you didn't underpitch with 500B cells. By this you avoided the cells to reproduce themselves rapidly first and producing more esters.
My suggestion would be to let the beer age and condition over a couple weeks time in the lowest part of the yeast temperature range (50F). This will give the yeast enough time and a chance to clean up esters.

The easiest solution: don't call it a Bohemian Pilsner ;)

R, Slurk

Slurk! You're a genius! All I have to do is call it a Lagered, Helles Czech Ale and nobody will know whether it's brewed to style or not!

Back