• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

carbonating kegs

DryCreekTX

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am going to do my first attempt at kegging. I have a chest freezer set up with external thermostat set at forty degrees. I am planning to have co2 bottle inside freezer with keg. Beersmith program says to set pressure at appx 11.1 psi. Should the pressure be different since the co2 will becolder than room temp. I read somewhere that I would use more co2 since gas condenses at lower temps. Does this even make sense?UBKBHU

CO2 temp doesn't matter, you set the pressure with your pressure valve.  The beer temp is what matters, it absorbs CO2 differently at different temps, which is why you set it in the program. 

Are you force carbonating or just letting the pressure absorb slowly?  I like to force carb, then after let the kegs (I have 4) equalize to serving pressure I use of 9PSI.

I doubt your gauge is accurate enough to do 11.1, probably more like 9-13 even if the needle says just over 11. You'll also have to account for serving line ID, keg output tube ID, and perhaps even the tap ID(inside diameter) as well as serving hose length and wall thickness. My 5# CO2 tank pressure fluctuated %50 outside the fridge this week just from ambient temp swings and inside the fridge would be colder yet. I can only imagine The gauge measuring line pressures fluctuates much like the tank does.

That said, If your talking about a keg that is already properly carbonated, I would think coldness matters, based on my very limited experience. I think 7psi at 40 is like 10 psi at 95.

I was planning on putting the pressure at 30 lbs for two days and then turning it down to about 10 for serving. Does this sound about right?

As has been mentioned in this thread; there are several variables involved in carbonating your brew. Your suggestion of 30 psi for two days is a good start.

At typical beer-fridge temperatures, 30 psi would get a fair amount of CO2 into the beer but one of the variables is style - depending on the style you brew, carbonation levels will vary.

I say do your 30 psi for 2 days, take it down to 10 psi, burp the keg so the pressure stabilizes at 10 psi, then pour a sample and test the carbonation level, and adjust as necessary.

thanks philm. This is a brown ale. I am new to brewing beer. This is my first batch. How many korny kegs can I expect to carbonate from one 5 lb co2 tank with keg and co2 tank inside freezer set at 40 degrees ?

I ruined my regulator by keeping it inside the freezer. Water condensed on the inside, oxidizing the metal, and now it functions as a pressure gauge with valves. All regulating is manual. I'd recommend finding someplace where you can drill a hole, allowing you keep the CO2 tank and regulator on the outside.  Some people use DampRid or some other product to absorb the humidity inside the freezer, but all it takes is one lapse and your regulator is green with oxidization.  Seriously, find a way to put it on the outside.

The CO2 temp doesn't matter. Only the temperature of the liquid into which it is dissolving matters.

+1 on keeping the bottle and regulator outside of the refrigerated environment.

Regarding how many Corny's one can get out of a 5 Lb CO2 bottle; my first 5 Lb bottle lasted 2 kegs until I figured out where the leaks were. My next 5 Lb bottle has been going strong for the last 4 kegs and still feels heavy - I carb and serve with the same bottle. If you can eliminate any leaks in the system, a 5 Lb bottle should last quite a while.

I set my CO2 at 30 to 35 PSI and in 2-3 days it is good and I serve at about 3 psi.

I have been told you should be able to force carb and dispense 10-12 5 gal corney kegs with a 5# CO2.  I forced carb 2 corney's and haven't seemed to use much pressure yet.

I keep my CO2 tank ourside the chest freezer and run the CO2 line through the drain hole. Saves space for an additional keg.

durrettd said:
I keep my CO2 tank ourside the chest freezer and run the CO2 line through the drain hole. Saves space for an additional keg.

This way the CO2 is much more efficient rather than chilling it.

Back