• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Soapy Flavor in New Zealand Hopped IPA

RanchoVillaBrew

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I recently brewed an IPA with all New Zealand Hops. This was my first time doing a hop stand. The aroma is great and the beer tasted great each time I tested it after primary, before each dry hop and prior to bottling. The soapy flavor developed after bottling. It has not really gotten stronger or mellowed as time has gone on. Any ideas what might cause it. Sanitation has not been an issue on any other beer I have brewed and I have never had this problem on another beer. I have also since brewed another IPA with the different hops on the same schedule and it turned out great. Could it be the combination of hops that give me that off flavor?

The Recipe is:
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine
8.0 oz Crystal 15
8 lbs  Pale LME

60 Min boil,
:30 (0.5 oz each Green Bullet and Nelson Sauvin)
:10 (0.5 oz each Green Bullet and Nelson Sauvin)
:00 (0.25 oz each: Green Bullet, Nelson Sauvin, Pacifica, Wakatu, and Motueka)
Hop Stand for :30 before chilling (0.25 oz each: Green Bullet, Nelson Sauvin, Pacifica, Wakatu, and Motueka)
1st Dry Hop after Krausen 4 days for 5 days (0.25 oz each: Green Bullet, Nelson Sauvin, Pacifica, Wakatu, and Motueka)
2nd Dry Hop for 5 days (0.25 oz each: Green Bullet, Nelson Sauvin, Pacifica, Wakatu, and Motueka)
Irish Moss and Yeastex
British Ale (White Labs #WLP005)
Bottle conditioned with corn sugar
OG 1.061 FG 1.014 IBU 52

Back