• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Easy Lagers

dmalquist

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Was brewing about 20 years ago and now have time again. Brewed quite a few ales and was just starting on lagers. Now the problem; it is too hot here ot brew any ales. My wife needs the house too warm. I am setting up a brewing room in my shop, also too hot. I have a nice fridge in there and am looking for some simple cold fermenting recipes. Help.

Here's what I've got on tap. I called it 'American Piss'. Came out light yellow with a mild flavor and good balance.

4# pils
2# 6-row
2# flaked maize

Mash started at 142 degrees, three hours later when it passed an iodine test it had cooled to 135. Removed a third, brought it to a boil, added it back in. Raised the temp to 155. Close enough.  Sparge was normal.

Boiled for one hour with 1oz Tettnanger (3.9% alpha) for 60.

Chilled and pitched Saflager S-23 sludge from a previous batch.

Fermented at 50 degrees. Started 2/16.  Racked 3/9, added a quarter ounce of the same Tettnanger.
I think I racked it early since there was foam up to the neck of the carboy on 3/28 according to my notes.
Went into a keg on 4/20, then was allowed to lager at 32 degrees for a month.

Came out good though. People who normally turn their nose to a homebrew in favor of some American piss like Bud or Coors finish their glass rather than politely taking a sip and then leaving it alone.

For my money, Schwarzbier and amber lagers are the easiest. They have some of the widest targets for OG, bitterness and balance. Plus, it's hard to go wrong with generous amounts of Munich malt!

Back