• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

APA recipe help

Trapae

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am still a noob, 9 brew under my belt and last 3 all grain.  I am just starting to try and make my own recipes.  I was wondering if anyone could give some advice on this recipe as to whether it is ok or if there are any major problems with it.  Looking for a moderately hoppy average ABV APA with good hop taste but not as citrusy as an all cascade APA.
Thanks in advance.

Batch Size: 5.50 gal  Style: American Pale Ale
Boil Size: 7.24 gal 
Color: 6.8
Bitterness: 41.8 IBUs  Boil Time: 60 min
Est OG: 1.056 (13.7° P)  Mash Profile: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Est FG: 1.013 SG (3.3° P)  Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage
ABV: 5.6%

10 lbs 8.0 oz  Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)  Grain  1
8.0 oz  Victory Malt (25.0 SRM)  Grain  2
8.0 oz  Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)  Grain  3
0.6 oz  Magnum [14.0%] - Boil 60 min  Hops  4
1          Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15 min)  Misc  5
0.5 oz  Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.0%] - Boil 12 min  Hops  6
0.5 oz  Cascade [5.5%] - Boil 12 min  Hops  7
0.5 oz  Cascade [5.5%] - Boil 0 min  Hops  8
0.5 oz  Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.0%] - Boil 0 min  Hops  9
1 pkgs  American Ale II

Your recipe looks fine as is, not sure I'd change much, if anything. I like your BU/GU at just above .8 - should be a good balance leaning toward the malt side; could even go up to .9 and still be very well balanced.

One thing I'm seeing is a large part of the hop bill is in the bittering hops. This is not about "good or bad", it's just a personal preference thing. For an APA, I tend to keep my bittering charge to less than 50% of the total IBUs which gives me a little more in the flavor and aroma department and for an APA, this is what I'm looking for; plenty of hop character without too much bitterness.

I've not yet used 1272, I've stuck with WLP001 for my American-style ales and have had great luck with clean fermentation character. Have you used 1272 before? If you have good luck with it, then stick with it, and for a cleaner fermentation character, I'd stick to the lower end of the temperature range during the first few days, then let it free-rise a little to clean up and finish out.

Aside from that; I think your recipe looks great!

Thanks for the advice.  I have not used 1272, but with all my obsessive reading, a lot of people seem to like it in an APA so I thought I'd try it. 
I also haven't used victory before and hope the amount is good for an APA.
I like columbus and cascade so I figure they will go well together.

Thans, T

Back