• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

What to do about an ingredient not in database?

mgr_stl

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm brewing the Austin Homebrew Agave Wit in the near future, and was wondering how I should enter the "Agave Nectar" (1 lb) into BeerSmith.  It is to be added for the full 60 minute boil.  Is there a way to add an ingredient that's not in the database?  I would also assume that I would need to somehow tell BeerSmith that this is a fermentable ingredient to get the various numbers to be correct.

Also, this mini-mash kit includes "Belgian Pale Ale Malt" in the grains, and I can't find that in the BeerSmith database.  Was thinking I should use "Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel" as a substitute.

Thanks!

Go to the top ribbon chick on ingredient

Select Grain or Misc,

Add grain or add misc on the second ribbon

Enter your data

OK, thanks.

Any ideas on what values to enter for the agave nectar when I add it?

Checking on the internet suggest agave nectar is 1 1/2 times sweeter then sugar. Pure sugar (sucrose) yields a specific gravity of 1.046 ppg putting it at 1.069 ppg . I would enter it a little lower 1.060 and see what happens to FG on a couple batches.

Back