• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Another Batch Sparge Question

Pompeysie

Brewer
Reaction score
Hi

Can anyone tell  me if Beersmith 2 automatically adds extra grain to the malt bill to account for the poorer efficiency one gets from choosing a batch sparge over a fly sparge?

Thanks

Simon

I don't think so. I've been using Beersmith for maybe 10 batches now and have no idea how efficiency works. I think you change grain amounts and the Est OG changes, perhaps taking efficiency into account. But there isn't even a mash efficiency setting so who knows...

The short answer is no.  If anything, BeerSmith will adjust the OG and est. APV with the different efficiency.  In looking through the program, it appears that the only way to adjust the efficiency would be to change the Brewhouse efficiency in your equipment set up for the different sparge options.  I would only change it based upon the results you get from brewing a batch and taking careful measurements of the sg and volumes through the process.  You could then set up an equipment profile specifically for batch sparging versus fly or no sparge processes.

Oginme said:
The short answer is no.  If anything, BeerSmith will adjust the OG and est. APV with the different efficiency.  In looking through the program, it appears that the only way to adjust the efficiency would be to change the Brewhouse efficiency in your equipment set up for the different sparge options.  I would only change it based upon the results you get from brewing a batch and taking careful measurements of the sg and volumes through the process.  You could then set up an equipment profile specifically for batch sparging versus fly or no sparge processes.
+1

This exactly correct. Besides, there is no guarantee that batch sparging will be less efficient than fly sparging for any one system. Theoretically, it's more efficient... But, there is a difference between theory and practice. 

Back