• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hop Absorption?

MrMista347

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I am making my first IIPA. I entered all of the details into BeerSmith and is gave me the boil volume that I expected given my parameters. The question I have is that this beer requires a lot of hops. 9oz in the boil and 5oz to dry hop, to be exact. Do I need to adjust my boil volume to account for those 9oz of hops? Like maybe an additional .5 gallon or something (I have no idea). I do know that dry hoping also absorbs liquid, is there a rule of thumb on that? How much is absorbed per 1oz of dry hoped pellet hops? Is it bad to squeeze the hop bag to get as much beer back?

I would squeeze. probably get more flavor out of the boil hops. The dry hops might cloud up the beer if you squeeze them at racking time(though this will most likely settle in the bottle).

Do you have a target volume of finished beer? IF so I would say your gonna lose at least a half gallon (Beersmith doesn't auto-adjust losses based on hop amounts).

Whole hops will absorb more liquid than pellets.

Back