• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

need help with OG and ABV

itsratso

Master Brewer
Reaction score
new brewer here. just finished with the trial version of BS and activated it today. i followed the video for entering my equipment profile, i use a 8 gallon pot to brew 3 gallon batches of extract beer (yes i know this is strange, i like smaller batches that i can finish quicker and start a new one). if needed i can post my equipment profile numbers as i suspect this may have something to do with my problem. as a test i put in the numbers for northern brewers nut brown ale extract recipe, a beer i have already brewed. the beer itself came out fine, my OG was 1.044, final was 1.008, giving me an ABV of 4.7% (i think i did that right). anyways the numbers on BS show the est.  OG as 1.008 and the ABV as 0.8% which would be impossible i think. what am i doing wrong here? the numbers i put in:

3 gal water
2.4 oz each of biscuit, chocolate, special b, special roast
3 lb 9.6 oz otter maris
.6 hops, .6 nottingham yeast

this is from the original 5 gal recipe scaled down to 3 gal?

I don't believe you have problem in your equipment profile. ABV is figured off the OG, FG and batch volume. Open your recipe and click on the fermentation tab. See if the measured OG, FG and batch size is correct.

under fermentation tab, measured OG is 1.046, measured FG is 1.010 and batch size is 3 gal. these numbers are about spot on with what i actually got when i brewed it, and also match up with the manufacturer's numbers. so i don't understand. why is the estimated so far off, like MILES off? should i ignore the estimated OG and ABV and use the measured ones instead, that doesn't seem to make sense to me. why have the estimate displayed then?

***edit i just re-entered everything for the fourth time, scaled it down to 3 gallons and now everything is working. the ingredients are still the same as before but all the estimated numbers are now correct. problem is i don't know what changed or how i did it. obviously i need to play with this for a few days. thanx for the help though.  :eek:

okay so i'm pretty sure that i didn't click on the correct style dropdown box (didn't notice it and it was left on default). oops  :-[

Back