• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Deer Park Water Profile in BS2

DonPippins

Apprentice
Reaction score
Afternoon Fellow Brewers !

Steve and I have only started to understand water profiles and RA.  We've read and considered Palmer's (and others) very helpful discussions. Previously we've used the BS2 water profile tool with Deer Park water and adjusted using a target for a regional water.  For instance, we used the Dublin Ireland profile for our last batch of stout.  It'a a fine beer... but this approach seems too simple... and we'd like to improve in this area.  I'm certain Irish breweries at least modify their water in some manner to improve efficiency.

With that background in place... here's a basic question to illustrate the issue. 

The profile for Deer Park Water in BS2 and the profile published by Deer Park (see the attachment)  are quite different.  In general BS reports a mid-range number from DP's profile.  DP gets their water from many springs in PA and Fla and is probably reporting the range of their measurements.  I wonder where Brad Smith gets the data for his profiles?   

Did he do an analysis for all the profiles?  Probably not.  Wonder what the source is and is it ever updated?

Short of using distilled water and building a profile from scratch for RA and beer style... is there a quick and economical way to analyze water quality.  Perhaps there is a lab set up to do this?

Fair winds,

~~~_/)_~~~

Don Pippins
Steve Koellhoffer

Attachments

• Water Profile.docx
    64.3 KB · Views: 299
http://wardlab.com/FeeSchedule/WardLabs_FeeSchedule_Web.pdf#page=10

The test called W-6 from Ward Lab will supply the usual minerals brewers like to know.  They've even created a Brewer's test, but I don't see the value in knowing iron and phosphorus, unless you suspect your local water is extremely high in either. 

Back