• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Spices for a Gin Ale

uisgue

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I am trying to put together a gin-spiced ale.  I think a tincture added post fermentation is probably the way to do it.  I found a list of some of the most used flavorings but haven't found (and probably don't need) them all.  What I have on hand is:
1) dried juniper berries
2) dried bay leaf
3) ground coriander
4) anise seed (not actually on the list)
5) fennel seed
6) ground or fresh ginger
7) dries lavender flowers
8 ) dried lemon and/or Valencia orange peel
What I would like to know is an approximate proportion of these to use (by weight?) I don't know which of the are scary potent and which are relatively mild.

Also, if anyone has any experience with gin flavoring, am I missing a crucial ingredient?
Other items from the list that I haven't found (or bought) yet include Angelica root, Orris root, Cardamom, Cubeb(?), and Grains of Paradise.

I'm currently crafting a gimlett IPA recipe, for which I'm only using the basic juniper berry to get the root of the gin flavor.  That said, there is virtually no limit to what kinds of spices and earthy ingredients you could add to your gin-spiced ale. 

Here is a great recipe for an delicious-sounding homemade gin infusion that might give you some inspiration and insight into gin-to-other-spice proportions: http://metro.co.uk/2013/10/25/recipe-how-to-make-your-own-gin-4156419/ 

I'm very interested to hear how it turns out!

Back