• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Cloudy Beer Question

Prince George

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I’m a beginner brewer and have a Pale Ale that’s been fermenting for 4 days and it’s very cloudy. What can I do at this stage (if anything).

I’ve heard that Whirlfloc Tablets can help, however I think this should have been done during the boil. Any thoughts would be really appreciated.

Sit down. Invert pint. RELAX!

Only four days let it sit for 7-14 days and see where your at. More than likely it will clear. You can also transfer to a secondary (don't. ..I'm not a fan) or cold crash it for 3 days at end of fermentation. Nothing to worry about

Yea, at four days it is probably still actively fermenting, with yeast going up and down like  a lava lamp.  Wait 14 to 20 days until it's totally finished and take a hydrometer sample if you have one.  If you get a reasonably low FG reading and it tastes OK,  it's done.  You can let it sit longer for greater clarity if desired.  Since it's your first batch, you probably want to rush it and taste that first one. 

Take it from all of us, the last bottle will taste the best, so no need to rush to the first one. 

Many thanks for your tips and advice, guess I was getting ahead of myself. Thanks again.

Don't worry. Plenty of time to brew more beer and learn about clarity. Every brew will be better, but there is no beer that will taste as good as that first homebrew. If there are imperfections, you will be too busy being proud to notice them. Enjoy.
As always, if you must worry about it being cloudy, I am available to drink it for you. I offer this as a free service, no need to thank me.

Ed

It should clear some over time.  I'm assuming you used a fining in the boil, so you'll likely get some more clarity over the next week or so.  Only four days in, there's still going to be a lot of yeast floating around.  Give it time.  If you really want clarity, you can try crashing the temperature once fermentation is complete, and at the same time use some Biofine.  But remember it's a pale and some cloudiness is perfectly acceptable.  Whatever you do, don't filter it.  It's just not the same.

Back