• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beginners fermentation question

G

gophersniper

I am brewing my first batch of beer.  I need to know if it is normal for the wort to become a little thick looking and very cloudy.  There is no line of demarcation between wort and kreusen.  I accidently pitched a 'propagator' packet instead of an 'activator' packet.  The whole works is in a carboy w/ and airlock at 68 degrees.  It took two days for anything to start.  I (thought) I had sanitized everything.  I'm wondering if I've made 5 gallons of fertizer or if this is normal.  Thanks

Most likely you are just fine.  It is rare, but occasionally it takes a while for fermentation to get going depending on yeast used and the size of the starter.  My longest lag time is around two days.  If you are using dry yeast, I strongly recommend you switch to liquid yeast in your next batch as it is far superior.

Cheers!
Brad

Back