• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Recipes do not match.

tehnick

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I have been noticing that none of my recipes match each other in multiple instances. I have put together the same recipe in Beer Smith on the PC, and have also bought Beer Smith Mobile on my Kindle AND my smartphone so I always have a way to put together an idea in a recipe no matter where I am at. The problem with that is none of the recipes match each other 100% when I am using the same exact ingredients, the same equipment profile, and same mash profile. I have double checked all of the numbers to make sure that they match and they do.

This is one of the many example recipes:

5# 2 Row
4# Pilsner
1# Flaked Barley
8oz Cara-Pils
0.5 oz Cascade 45 min
0.5 oz Cascade 15 min

In Beer Smith on the PC, here's the numbers:
1.052 OG
18.9 IBU
3.6 SRM
5.3 ABV

In Beer Smith Mobile on my Smartphone:

1.052 OG
17.2 IBU
3.6 SRM
5.35 ABV

In Beer Smith Mobile on my Kindle:

1.052 OG
16.2 IBU
3.6 SRM
5.35 ABV

It seems like the issue is always with the IBU calculations on the front end. I made sure that each recipe has the same EXACT numbers plugged into it on the PC, the Kindle, and the smartphone. On the back end, the other issue that I am running into is the water and/or temperature for the mash.

PC: 16.32 qt @ 165.3 for 60 min, batch sparge with 2 steps (0.82 gal, 3.64gal @ 168F, converted to 3.28 qt, 14.56 qt) 17.84 qt sparge water

Kindle: 16.32 qt @ 167.7 for 60 min, batch sparge with 2 steps (2.93 qt, 14.21 qt @ 168F) 17.14 qt sparge water

Smartphone: 16.32 qt @ 167.7 for 60 min, batch sparge with 2 steps (3.78 qt, 15.06 qt @ 168F) 18.84 qt sparge water

So with that, how is anyone supposed to be able to create the same batch over and over again when the applications give me different numbers that don't match up? As you can see, some stay the same but the IBUs and the water amount/temp for the mash/sparge is always different. I want consistency if I am spending the money on software and expect software that integrates with each other to behave the same and produce the same end product. As far as I am concerned, the same recipe is giving me three different recipes depending on what device I use. This is not acceptable and I want to know if there is a solution or if I should just pick a platform to use and stick with it so I get consistency in my beers.

Same hops utilization model:  Tinseth or Rager, on each? 

Same AA% on every hop, each drop?

The 2.4F difference in strike looks like the ol' Adjust Equipment for Temperature check box. 

The big differences in water amounts looks like the ol' Check Boxes for batches of 100%, and use Equal Batch Sizes, and Drain Mash Tun before sparging. 

All those are identical?    I only use the PC version, but find it hard to believe that Brad would purposefully use different code in the newer versions.  So, buggy implementation, if all those common sources of differences are indeed identical? 

I spent two hours going through everything to make sure that the numbers were exactly the same, everywhere. I even deleted and recreated the recipes on each to make sure there wasn't something else that was the cause. It's still the same.

I don't doubt it. You get different numbers in PC version just between the tools and the recipe version of the tools.

Only other thought is that perhaps the template Equipment profile has been changed within the recipes so it's no longer identical across all three. 

Back