• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Leaf Hops

Rjezowski75

Brewer
Reaction score
I grew some hops and want to include them in my keg. However, I am not sure as to how to prepare them for kegging. Can I just pick them and toss them in or do I need to process them some how?

I haven't grown my own yet but some breweries use a wet hopping.  You might want to experiment for seasonal brewing with fresh hops.  I might think about a soak in some strong alcohol to disinfect them first but I would toss some in fresh then dry the rest.

Use them as you would normally use dried whole hops except you will need between five and eight times the weight. I like to let them set for a short time to let any insects crawl away. If that makes you squeamish, use them in a hop stand or as whirlpool hops. Do not soak them in alcohol.

ghwren said:
Use them as you would normally use dried whole hops except you will need between five and eight times the weight. I like to let them set for a short time to let any insects crawl away. If that makes you squeamish, use them in a hop stand or as whirlpool hops. Do not soak them in alcohol.

This is excellent advice. Wet hops will give you a "grassy flavor to your finished beer if you dry hop. Some people like it, some don't. My harvest this year is about 6 lbs. dried. Let the critters crawl away, and they will. I dry mine in less than 50 % humidity (air conditioned room) for a week. Put them in a vacuum seal bag, purge them well with CO2, seal them, and freeze them. The CO2 or nitrogen will sanitize them. Since you can't get them down to a commercial dryness without heat to 5-6 percent moisture, that's why you freeze them! Heat does cook off the oils in the drying process. The heavenly smell of hops at a drying facility is aroma that doesn't go into your beer.

Back