• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

please help, my original gravity clocked at 38!

ginger1

Apprentice
Reaction score
hi, for the second time in a row my OG was in the 30? i have no idea as i am following the instructions both those that came with my kit and the cans? any ideas why?

There are several reasons why one might miss their OG target, we need more information. If you are using BeerSmith or some other recipe calculator and can attach your recipe, or if you can type it out, we'll have the details we need to determine what might be gong on here.

If you used all the specified ingredients, including any table sugar it cited, and came up way short on the SG, it's likely that too much water was used. 

The ingredients in the kit constitute the sugars needed in a precisely prescribed amount of water.  When too much water is used, it's weak than calculated. 

i dont use a specific recipe, i use the coopers can brand

Can you tell us the name of the kit? Was it ordered on-line or purchased in a store?

If you're using a kit, it should have a set of instructions inside. Can you tell us what your instructions say regarding the ingredients? What we're looking for is water volumes, total amount of malt extract (cans are often 3.3 Lbs, many kits come with two cans, for example), and the boiling instructions.

If the water volumes are off, the OG will likely not be what was expected, as MaltLicker mentioned.

i bought coopers 1.7kg canadian blonde can off amazon. and it came with 1kg of vinvcasse brewing sugar. the can recommends coopers brew enhancer 1, but would this affect the OG that much?
the instructions are as followed:
1 MIX.
a) dissolve contents of can and other fermentable sugars in 2litres of boiling water (or 4 litres of hot tap water)
b) then top up fermenter with cold water to the 20 litre mark, mis thoroughly with spoon and check the temperature, ideally 21 -27'C.
c) top up to 23litre with hot/cold water in order to achieve ideal temp
d)take SG reading and then add yeast.

i followed these and for some reason i have ended up a strange OG reading. could it be due to the type of sugar used or the amount of water used for dissolving the malt extract and sugars in?

Back