• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hello, my name is...

BeerSmith

Staff member
Administrator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hello All,
Welcome to the BeerSmith community forum.  I've tried hard to remodel both the forum, main web site and now the new BrewWiki site to make it more user friendly and less BeerSmith centric.

I invite you all to post in our forum on any brewing topic, and if you are new to the forum feel free to post a short message here about your brewing experiences, hobbies and more.  Introduce yourself to the other members (we have over 750 now!) - they are a valuable source of information on all brewing topics.

Cheers!
Brad Smith
beersmith.com

I have been extract brewing now for 5 yrs. BeerSmith is one of the best things to hit the home brew market. Keep up the great work.

Thanks!
  I'm glad you enjoy it!

Brad

I've been doing extract and extract with specialty grains for about 8 years now...I also brew meads and really want to give cider a shot this year (I live next to the apple capitol of GA)... I have used other brewring software before...but Beersmith by far is the easiest and best I have used....now to find my old recipes for mead and convert them from another softwares format into beersmith :D

Hello some o you all may know me from some of the other fourms, but it is just this poor North Carolina mountian boy from the GA state line.

Bo_gator and MysticMead,
  We're happy to have you here!  Please join in on the discussion and feel free to discuss anything brewing related.  Also - let me know how the meads and ciders come out - I have very few mead or cider recipes and would love to add a few to the online collection here and on the BrewWiki.  Please upload a few when you get a chance.

Cheers!
Brad

sounds like bo_gator doesnt live to far from me.....

Brad....as soon as I get my recipes converted from promash, I'll post them.

Hey all!  I am new here and am just getting started in home brewing.  A buddy of mine and I are going to give brewing a try in the upcoming months.

I guess there is a place here in St. Paul where you can brew your first batch on-site rather than having to buy all the equipment.  To be honest, all the lingo seems a bit daunting right now, so this may be a good way to go, but of course I welcome your thoughts.

Anyhow, thought I'd stop by and say hello.  Hope to see you all around in the future!

Welcome!
  Happy to have you on board.  You might want to try out the BrewWiki site (brewwiki.com).  I authored an article there on how to brew your first batch, and there is quite a bit there on how to brew in general.

Cheers!
Brad

mdaoust said:
Hey all!  I am new here and am just getting started in home brewing.  A buddy of mine and I are going to give brewing a try in the upcoming months.

I guess there is a place here in St. Paul where you can brew your first batch on-site rather than having to buy all the equipment.  To be honest, all the lingo seems a bit daunting right now, so this may be a good way to go, but of course I welcome your thoughts.

Anyhow, thought I'd stop by and say hello.  Hope to see you all around in the future!
I would suggest that you look closely7 at the costs of the BOP you mention.  IMHO you should be able to buy a startup kit and brew your own for the cost of the BOP  look at a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone or something similar for your first brew. 

Brewing beer is really quite easy.  In the St Paul area you should be able to connect up with a homebrew club.  IMHO one of the best things that you can do if you are thinking of brewing.
here are two
Saint Paul Homebrewers Club  ID #: 000149897
1472 Como Ave
Saint Paul, MN  55108  USA
775 871-3490
sphbc@sphbc.org
www.sphbc.org

Brewers In Chaos  ID #: 000148054
2195 Como Av
St. Paul, MN  55108-1812  USA
651 603 8541

Fred

MysticMead said:

Where abouts do you reside?  I am in Franklin, NC right across the border from Clayton

bo_gator said:
MysticMead said:

Where abouts do you reside?  I am in Franklin, NC right across the border from Clayton

North GA mountains... near Jasper/Ellijay

Howdy All,

I'm Tim and I live outside of Kansas City on the Kansas side.  I used to brew quite a bit in college and when I lived near Green Bay, WI.  But I haven't brewed in over 10 years.  Too little time with the wife, career and kids thing going on.  Besides, I originally started brewing to make beer resembling the good European beer I was raised on.  And it was cheaper than buying stale imports (when you could find them).  But it got easier to get good beer, and the "saving" money bit wasn't holding as much water since you could go to any liquor store and get a range of good beers at an affordable price.

Now I'm coming back, less because I want beers I can't find but more because I want to brew MY beers.  I want to work on a handful of styles and play around with the styles and techniques to get them down to where I have MY house beers on tap and the occasional specialty.  And, in case any local liquor store or brewpub owners are worrying about their business dropping, I think it's going the OTHER way.  The more I try to define the styles I want, the more research I'm doing to know what target I want to shoot for.  Heck, in trying my Belgian, I think I cleaned every liquor store in town out of their stock of Chimay, Rochefort, Delirium and Golden Carolus.  Took notes on the tastings but they aren't very legible and seem to be written in a foreign language....guess I'll just have to wait for them to restock!  ;)

Seriously though.  In coming back, it seems like I'm in a time warp.  Things have changed SO much it's like an entire other world.  The equipment and information available are almost mind-boggling.  When I started years ago I had to go to the local feed store for a floating dairy thermometer and the local farm co-op for hops.  Mail order was a crapshoot.  There were some good ones, and there were some not so good ones...Now we've got multiple stores here in town!  But I do LOVE the Beersmith program.  The ability to convert the recipes and then turn out a shopping list was fantastic.  Heck, I was able to call my favorite shop to see what the % on their hops were so I could plug it in and change the quantities before going to get them!  THAT was a serious time-saver.  Well worth the money to buy the program.  And having my brewlog, calculators and conversion charts in one spot is GREAT.

OK, my monologue's run long enough.  Thanks again and good brewing to all.

Tim

Tim,
  Welcome - I had a similar experience.  I brewed in the late 80's then took a few years off.  When I returned in the early 90's it was like night and day - all of a sudden we had quality ingredients, liquid yeasts (which made a huge improvement) and much better equipment and better books.

Now with the internet it has exploded beyond that - you can find entire books online, tons of information, etc...  (brewwiki.com !).

Cheers!
Brad Smith

Brad,

You're absolutely right.  When I first started back in the 80's, I had no choice but extract.  It was quite a choir to AG and, as I noted, I was in college.  THAT wasn't going to happen.  But the availability of a tool like this is something out of Star Trek.  Don't get me wrong, I'm very computer-literate (I make my living in IT).  But the concept of being able to post a technical question and having brewers from all over the world weigh in is incredible!  And the quality?!?!  Rogue beers just released their yeast to homebrewers.  That kind of deal was a pipe dream before.  I think my first batch used Fleshmen's bread yeast!  Couldn't find anything else!  Won't say it was good, but, (and again, we WERE in college) it was drinkable.  And at that point, quality was great, but quantity was greater.

Tim

Been brewing for a year or two now.  Started with Extract and now do All Grain.  Just moved to an apartment from the parent's house and am planning my innaugural brew with my new setup on Sunday (probably a double batch day! :eek:)

Cheers,
Greg

Welcome Greg ;D

I will be doing a double batch this weekend also.

Two Hounds Pale Ale and Kilt Lifter Wee Heavy.

Good times!!

Welcome Greg,

I'm not brewing THIS weekend, but next week.  My brother-in-law has caught the bug after 3 or 4 (maybe 5) pints of my last batch (Oktoberfest Ale).  I'm letting him brew one on my equipment (an Irish Ale) and then I'll brew an IPA right afterwards.

Good Luck on yours!

Hello, my name is John (a.k.a. Tigger)

I've been brewing mini mash & extract for almost 2 years now.  Just love it.  I love BeerSmith and how fun it is to tweek recipies.

I live in Milwaukee, I like long walks on tropical beaches... I mean SCUBA diving on coral reefs, playing Halo, Alien vs. Predator 2, and Unreal Tournament 2K4, and brewing beer.  I work about 35 hours a week at my software company, 15 hours a week at my store (Dollar Delight), and try to spend time with the family.

I am an anti-hop head, and prefer to use unconventional ingredients.  For example, my "Exotic IPA" which reduces the hops and adds Cardimon.  Very yummy.

Back