• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

matching a recipe's efficiency

itsratso

Master Brewer
Reaction score
i put in jamil's saison recipe and his estimated OG is 1.060. beersmith's estimated OG is 1.051. this is because jamil's efficiency is 80% and mine is 66% (actually i am in the process of dialing in my efficiency but for the sake of this let's say it's correct at 66%). so to duplicate this recipe should i adjust the OG slider to give me 1.060 and go with the new adjusted recipe?

Always enter a recipe as-is and make sure the specs fit what the original says. If they tell you their equipment, choose the closest profile to it, if no exact match exists.

Use the scaling tool to automatically adjust the recipe to your system.

ahh, so the scaling button also scales the efficiency down to your setup then, got it. so to clarify "make sure the specs fit what the original says" then does that mean in the recipe listed above when putting in jamil's i should change the efficiency to 80, then scale it down to my equipment setup?  thanx.

**edit: duh, actually i can just test this myself and report back.

Yep, you got it.  First you have to be able to re-create the recipe assuming the same equipment and assumptions. 

Then you apply your equipment and your assumptions.  If your system falls short, then you add more grains to make it up. 

BTW, Jamil uses Rager for hops utilization and BS2 defaults to Tinseth, so that's often an issue in duplicating on IBUs.  Use Rager to copy JZ. 

thanx guys. the good news is i think i got it dialed in now. the bad news is i have to redo all my recipes for like the 100th time.  :p :p

Back