• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Lager Time/Temp

mbg

Master Brewer
Reaction score
I mostly brew ales but my last batch was an Octoberfest Lager. I chose a lager style but for some reason the brew sheet tells me to ferment in the primary @ 68 degF for 4 days and secondary @68 degF for I think 2-weeks then keg at 52 degF for 3-weeks (this is for an ale-I think).

I know the primary should be much colder and ferment for aroung 3-weeks.....WHAT AM I DOING WRONG???

Mike

Mike,
  The brew sheet just reflects the settings you had in the recipe for aging and storage temperatures.  They do not change based on the type of yeast you select (though perhaps I should alter that!).  By default these are set as you describe, but you can certainly change them by opening the recipe and setting them to whatever you want.  I would certainly recommend a colder fermentation temperature for a lager!

Cheers!
Brad

::) yup, same thing happened to me. i figured that since i had picked a lauger style and lauger yeast the program would put those values in. have a lot more configureing to do. still a great program.

Back