• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Chocolate Hazelnut Porter

ILB

Apprentice
Reaction score
Getting ready for the fall season and I just brewed Jamil's Chocolate Hazelnut Porter Extract Kit from Morebeer. After the primary fermentation is done, I need to add the cocoa nibs that came with the kit. I assume I need to sanitize the cocoa nibs before adding to the fermenter, but the instructions don't mention sanitizing. I've read that some folks soak the nibs in vodka. Is this the best method? If so, how long should the nibs be soaked before being added to the fermenter? Is there a better method?

Here's another question: Do I need to sanitize the hazelnut extract before adding to the bottling bucket? Again, no mention of any of this in the instruction sheet.

Any help, hints or other suggestions for this recipe would be much appreciated.

Soaking the Nibs in vodka for about 5 min couldn't hurt, but not really necessary. Same with the extract.The beer already contains alcohol (disinfectant), and hops themselves have antimicrobial qualities. This is why beer was added to water during the middle ages up until about 200 years ago. It made the water drinkable by killing the bacteria that lived in it.

Back