• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Calibrating a measuring stick used in a HLT

Rep

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I am in the final stage of collecting the equipment to move from a ten to a fifteen gallon brewery.  I will pick up my new HLT this afternoon.  It will not yet have a sight glass.

I will use a piece of PVC pipe as a measuring stick to determine my water volumes.  My question is how to treat the dead space below the valve.

When marking my measuring stick is it best to put water into the HLT, open the ball valve and allow the water to drain until it stops, then use that line as the beginning mark?  I would then add a gallon at a time marking the level on the stick with each gallon of water I add.

Sounds right, unless you plan/are able to tilt the HLT to more fully drain it.  I put a small piece of PVC under mine to drain it better, when I think I need the water in the MLT.

MaltLicker said:
Sounds right, unless you plan/are able to tilt the HLT to more fully drain it.  I put a small piece of PVC under mine to drain it better, when I think I need the water in the MLT.

Thanks Malt, I am attempting to get away from tipping.  I think I can become more accurate in my brewing practices without tipping.

BTW - I have the Thermapen and do like it.  Your discussion led me to decide to calibrate all of my instruments as I am setting up a new brewery. 

I think you've got the right idea.
Another idea might be to use the mash paddle.  One less thing to have to keep around that way.  You are going to have the mash paddle handy anyway.
The only problem is that I marked my paddle, but it's about he only thing that hasn't been upgraded and probably the only thing that wont be upgraded in the not to distant future!
It's got a bunch of gallon marks that are now useless.

For Kettle calibration, be sure about whether you're measuring hot or chilled volumes. And whether you're using post boil volume or batch size as indicators.

I have mine calibrated for the full volume of my kettle, hot (195 F). This lines up with my brew sheet. BeerSmith deducts chilling and trub loss to forecast my batch size in the Fermentation tab.

It might only be a half gallon difference, but it can be a truckload of frustration, down the road.

brewfun said:
For Kettle calibration, be sure about whether you're measuring hot or chilled volumes. And whether you're using post boil volume or batch size as indicators.

I have mine calibrated for the full volume of my kettle, hot (195 F). This lines up with my brew sheet. BeerSmith deducts chilling and trub loss to forecast my batch size in the Fermentation tab.

It might only be a half gallon difference, but it can be a truckload of frustration, down the road.

I tend to be annual in my brewing processes.  You have just provided me with much to be considered.  Thanks.

Back