• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Parti-Gyle!

SharpsRifle

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
My top request is still a parti-gyle feature.
I would really like to see it calc for 1/2 and 1/2, 1/3 and 2/3 and for a true old fashioned parti-gyle where you take first, second and maybe third runnings rather than targeted volumes.
When I upgrade my mash tun I may try making three beers from one grain bill.  I need a much bigger mash tun for that or the second batch will suffer and the third batch will be like budweiser.

As an added and much needed bonus, if it could predict the characteristics of each gyle, gravity, color and anything else pertinent, then spin off a linked recipe for each gyle so that you could keep the hop additions and what not in the specific recipe.

Extra special bonus if you could tell it you were going to add grain between sessions.
I just did this with a brew I did a couple nights ago.  I was flying blind.
I could have made up another recipe and just added two row until I had my expected gravity, then threw in the additional grain but that is a lot to do while in the middle of an all night brew session.

Right now I just put a lot of information in the notes section with gravity, additions, hop schedules and maybe taste and color notes from each beer I get.

I've just started the parti-gyle brewing myself and I plan on doing quite a bit of it!
For now, I think I'm going to take the grain bill, decrease the water until I hit the gravity that the first portion hits, then scale it up to the actual volume.
Next I need to take the base recipe and add water until it comes out where my second half hits, then scale it for actual recipe.  Obviously this will have some flaws but should be close.  I could then take the second runnings and modify it to account for any grains that I want to add.  Adding grain isn't a true parti-gyle but I'm not after a historic recreation but simply using parti-gyle to make multiple cool beers and since for now I can only boil one batch at a time, I end up mashing the second half for quite a while.  Last time I had a 90 minute boil so I had about a two hour mash for the second half.
With the two recipes I could then figure my hop additions or other additions.

I think I'm going to try it with the data I have from my last batch.  The only problem is that since I added some grain to the second mash, I'm going to have to think about how to setup the second runnings batch.  I should just look at the predicted gravity, adjust to that, then add the grains that I did add and see if it comes out to what I had.  I can also take the grains out again and mess with the base to try and hit what I ended up with.
This would let me account for things like cocoa nibs being added to the first half, and hazelnut being added to the second half.
I doubt that a parti-gyle feature will be added unless it starts to become very popular so I'm going to attempt to spend an hour or so and see if it works out when I re do the recipe and make changes.
The down side is that any change I make to the base will make me re run the spinoff recipes.

If I were 25  years younger I would probably be able to figure out how to use a spread sheet or something to do the scaling and generate working recipes that represented each running, then input that into beersmith for hop additions or other changes.

Back