• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

beer has a weird sterile sort of flavour

davidrgreen

Master Brewer
Reaction score
OK so I opened my first ever all grain batch of beer last night after it has been bottle conditioning for the last 7 days and it was nowhere need carbonated enough (and I used 2.3oz sugar in 15ltrs) and it has a strange sterile sort of taste. any idea why this is and how to combat it? I made sure everything was washed with starsan and well rinsed, I used regulat Toronto tap water and I pitched the yeast at around 25C, the yeast I used is notingham dry ale yeast and I fermented it at 19c.

Any idea what this is?

I have made another batch already (different recipe but same water and yeast and same temps) and am now worried this will be the same.

any help appreciated.

Cheers

1) Does Toronto water have chlorine in it?
2) This is one reason you don't use secondary fermenters.  :mad: Risk of contamination is increased, Since you did use a secondary did you purge it with CO2 before you racked into it?
3) Don't mess with dry hopping this early in the game. Another risk of contamination. Learn the process first.  ::)
4) Make sure there is no moving air in the room when your wort or beer are open and exposed. No open windows or room fans! Yeast      contamination!
5) Don't panic yet! 8) Bottle ferment in a very warm, hot area!
6) Read How to Brew by John Palmer where you will learn how to handle and prep dry yeast and or make a yeast starter.
7) At least you used Star San :)
8) You brewed from a clone book. Odds are it won't taste good.
9) Stick with it!

Maybe having a better idea of what you mean by "sterile sort of flavour" might help.  I've quoted below directly from John Palmers "How To Brew" book.  Do any of these fit what you're tasting?

Alcoholic
A sharp flavor that can be mild and pleasant or hot and bothersome. When an alcohol taste detracts from a beer's flavor it can usually be traced to one of two causes. The first problem is often too high a fermentation temperature. At temperatures above 80°F, yeast can produce too much of the higher weight fusel alcohols which have lower taste thresholds than ethanol. These alcohols taste harsh to the tongue, not as bad as cheap tequila, but bad nonetheless.

Fusel alcohols can be produced by excessive amounts of yeast, or when the yeast sits too long on the trub. This is one reason to move the beer off of the hot and cold break when the beer is going to be spending a lot of time in the fermentor.

Medicinal
These flavors are often described as mediciney, Band-Aid™ like, or can be spicy like cloves. The cause are various phenols which are initially produced by the yeast. Chlorophenols result from the reaction of chlorine-based sanitizers (bleach) with phenol compounds and have very low taste thresholds. Rinsing with boiled water after sanitizing is the best way to prevent these flavors.

Metallic
Metallic flavors are usually caused by unprotected metals dissolving into the wort but can also be caused by the hydrolysis of lipids in poorly stored malts. Iron and aluminum can cause metallic flavors leaching into the wort during the boil. The small amount could be considered to be nutritional if it weren't for the bad taste. Nicks and cracks ceramic coated steel pots are a common cause as are high iron levels in well water. Stainless steel pots will not contribute any metallic flavors. Aluminum pots usually won't cause metallic flavors unless the brewing water is alkaline with a pH level greater than 9. Shiny new aluminum pots will sometimes turn black when boiling water due to chlorine and carbonates in the water.

The protective (grayish) oxides of aluminum can be enhanced by heating the clean pot in a dry oven at 250°F for about 6 hours.

Solvent-like
This group of flavors is very similar to the alcohol and ester flavors, but are harsher to the tongue. These flavors often result from a combination of high fermentation temperatures and oxidation. They can also be leached from cheap plastic brewing equipment or if PVC tubing is used as a lautering manifold material. The solvents in some plastics like PVC can be leached by high temperatures.

davidrgreen said:
I made sure everything was washed with starsan and well rinsed, I used regulat Toronto tap water and I pitched the yeast at around 25C, the yeast I used is notingham dry ale yeast and I fermented it at 19c.

StarSan is a no-rinse product, so no need to rinse it off.  In fact, that re-washes your gear with the potential nasties you just sanitized away. 

Nott's recommended range is 57F to 70F, so the time spent above 70F may have created some off-flavors, particularly if it took off quickly and got even warmer during that active stage.  I use Nott often and it's clean at 63F, but does get more estery when ferm'ed warmer. 

Thanks for the info guys... yes the band aid is definitely how I would describe it.... I'll for sure take into account everything everyone has said... i.e don't rinse star san off the equipment, i'll get the temp lower before pitching and see how that works out.... I hope the next batch that is brewing already doesn't have the same issues :(

Campden tablets are a cheap and easy way to remove chlorine and chloramines from local tap water.  One tablet treats 20 gallons, so a bottle lasts a long time.

Ok so I have now just ordered campden tablets and a big bottle of star san so hopefully I can combat this by doing everything everyone said.
I also forgot to mention that I also moved my bottles upstairs to the warmest room in the house (25 deg c) to continue bottle conditioning.

Thanks so much for everyone's help its nice to be able to get so much useful first hand advice from everyone and to be able to implement it in my next batch.

MaltLicker said:
Campden tablets are a cheap and easy way to remove chlorine and chloramines from local tap water.  One tablet treats 20 gallons, so a bottle lasts a long time.

This is the best way to get rid of chlorine in drinking water. One tablet treats up to 20 gallons, but you can use 1 tablet in 5 gallons, too. Crush it up first and stir it in at room temperature. The water is "safe" in just a few minutes.

Just one more question for you. When you say pitching the dry yeast are you sprinkling it on the surface or are you rehydrating it first? If you are sprinkling it, you are killing 50 % of your yeast. If your not rehydrating we can help you with that.

Since you are using Star San, I am just looking for something other than a sanitation problem. It would help us if you give us an original gravity and a finished gravity also.

I just read one of the post where you rinsed after the Star San and it was pointed out as a no-no. Just keep in mind that Star San is a concentrate that must be diluted. It will last indefinitely if you dilute in distilled water. It doesn't last long in tap water because the pH will rise above 4, and will cloud. Once the pH rises above 4, its time to dump it. Fill a new sprayer bottle with it too. 6 ml per gallon. When properly diluted it is safe as a no- rinse product. I know your in Canada so do the math for liters following label directions.

OK so I put my beer up into the top bedroom for the weekend where it is warmest and it now tastes completely different, the band aid flavour has totally disappeared and the carbonation is much better (Still think I will leave it for another few days though as I think it will improve more) but I have a decent tasting beer... hooooray, I now have more confidence in the second batch that is already fermenting.
I rehydrated the yeast as directed on the packet 100 ml of boiled water in a large surface area bowl between 30 and 35 deg and left for 15 min then stirred in... it certainly worked pretty quickly the airlock was starting to bubble just 4 hrs after pitching so I think it was good.

I will certainly use campden tablets and not rinse the star san next time and bottle condition at a higher temperature so I think I may have solved the issues... thanks again everyone for helping.

Fantastic!  Try to have patience though.  Your beer is good and drinkable now, however, in a few days you won't notice a lot of change.  If you wait a month or so, you might be very pleasantly surprised that it changed and improved so much. 

I know that it's difficult to wait on a beer to fully develop.  It is the reason I brew so much (80 gallons since March).  I've always got plenty of fully developed beer on hand that is at it's prime.

Your beer might be outstanding in a month or two!  My suggestion is to go to the store and purchase enough of your favorite commercial beers to get you through the month, so that you don't have an excuse for drinking your homebrew before it's time.

I consider the conditioning and aging process to be just as important of a step, as mashing, boiling, fermenting or bottling.

I'm to the point that I have made a rule for myself.  "Never drink more than a 6 pack of any homebrewed batch in the first month."

Scott .........We brew at about the same rate. Your beers sound intriguing and I am sure they taste great. I run into the problem of what to drink when I have 4-5 good beers on tap and one or two are IPA's which we know drop hops at a rate quicker than we would like. I like to anchor an IPA with a solid bittering addition to give it some aging strength.

Wine too, is a sign you are a patient man. I'm a liter or less a day consumer!

Since this is a first AG batch I support David to celebrate this weekend by enjoying all the brew he wishes! David, save at least a six pack to age!

Enjoy!

RiverBrewer said:
Scott .........We brew at about the same rate. Your beers sound intriguing and I am sure they taste great. I run into the problem of what to drink when I have 4-5 good beers on tap and one or two are IPA's which we know drop hops at a rate quicker than we would like. I like to anchor an IPA with a solid bittering addition to give it some aging strength.

Wine too, is a sign you are a patient man. I'm a liter or less a day consumer!

Since this is a first AG batch I support David to celebrate this weekend by enjoying all the brew he wishes! David, save at least a six pack to age!

Enjoy!
+1 on the celebrate!  I try to keep only one really hoppy beer for the very reasons you've stated.  You'll notice that I have a Barley Wine in my "list to be brewed".  I only have one IPA right now that I'm drinking.  I tend to spread the hoppy beers out.

The Banana Wine and the Plum Wine were made because of some happenstances.  I was looking for a way to add real banana to a hefeweisen and stumbled across a Banana Wine recipe on the internet that was getting rave reviews.  I just had to make it.  The Plum Wine was for a friend who had a bumper crop (200 pounds) of Plums on his one Plum Tree this year.  He bought a carboy so that he wouldn't tie up my fermenters.

I'm not a big drinker either.  I have one, maybe two beers a day.  All the neighbors know that if the garage door is open that the bar is open.  I also give a lot away (a six pack here, a case there).  Plus the beer I take to homebrew meetings.  I like to share.

Ha ha ha thanks guys. I will most certainly be saving some of them for a month or so, should I leave them at room temp or should I refrigerate them?
I have my parents flying over (I'm English now living in Toronto) and I love real ales, my dad used to brew beer and win a lot of medals for his home brewing (before I was born) unfortunately he threw his book away many years ago but I wanted some beer for him to try when he gets here so I don't think the first batch will last all that long... and neither will the second as he's here for 5 weeks... I will be brewing some with him while hes here so hopefully he will remember a recipe or two.

I'm really enjoying making my beer and the satisfaction of drinking something I brewed is amazing already and I have only had 3 bottles. I'm constantly thinking of new beers to try so I look forward to more advice and hopefully some day being able to advise newcomers like myself.
thanks again for all your help.... cheers!

Looks like you have had some very helpful and excellent replies to your post.  I might add that if you want to  increase your ABV with sugar you'll get that medicinal or bandaid off flavor at first.  I've added up to a pound of light brown sugar to raise my ABV by 1 full % and have had to age my batch for an extra couple weeks to age out the off flavor.  When I use a pound of DME to raise ABV I don't have to age as long.

Sounds like you have a very good relationship with your father.  I hope your visit is fun and refreshing.  If he passes on any family secrets for brewing please consider us family.  :)

You can give it another week to make sure your finished carbonating then store cooler.
Save a few bottles for a 60 & 90 day tasting. Enjoy!

Back