• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash Tun Temperature Entry

mbg

Master Brewer
Reaction score
Why does this not affect the mash in water temperature (grain temp does)?

Thanks,

Mike

Mash tun temp does effect the strike water temp. The thermal energy of the water heats not only the grain, but heats the pot too. You need to set up your mash pot Equipment section correctly.

RiverBrewer said:
Mash tun temp does effect the strike water temp. The thermal energy of the water heats not only the grain, but heats the pot too. You need to set up your mash pot Equipment section correctly.

I found it. There is a box to check for adjust temp for equipment.

Thanks

or....if you're like me, you can "not" check it and put your strike water in your mash tun first, but aim about 6F high and wait for it to drop to your strike temperature....then add the grain.  I hit my mash temp dead on like this.  It only costs me about 5 to 10 minutes to wait for it to drop.

Scott Ickes said:
or....if you're like me, you can "not" check it

I don't check it either because of my system.  I use a TopTier with a Tower of Power controller to mash. The sensor is on my March pump. So I heat my water quickly in my boil pot but aim 5 degrees below the strike. Pump the strike volume to the mash tun. Set the controller to the strike. In less than 5 minutes it is ready to dump the grain in. This works even in the cool weather. When I used a cooler type mash tun, I always preheated it with the hottest tap water in the winter time and the box "was" checked. It was tough when I didn't have the ability to put heat to a mash tun by a source other than boiling water. There are several ways to get the job done. It is good to use this forum so everyone can explore their options.

The next question I normally get is How do you like the Blichmann Tower of Power?
I couldn't justify the price for my HLT temperature or the flow meter- pump- controller stand, so I only have one Tower of Power controller on my March pump outlet. I use it for setting my strike temp, mashing, and also after my plate chiller to monitor the temp going into my carboys. The option of doing rests and mash out with the touch of a button is fantastic. I also plan on doing cheat decoctions where I use less volume of decoction and then ramp up to the next rest, so I don't over shoot my next rest. It does eliminate a tremendous amount of dicking around to hit and maintain mash temps. The only work for me is to hit my strike temp, check the recirculate flow for 1 gallon/ min, stir the mash ever 10 minutes, and to input a temp change. Since I don't have the Blichmann flow meter, I just eye ball it a minute after I stir. If you think this makes mashing easier you are absolutely correct.

My opinion is that this is the best innovation in brewing since the auto syphon and modern liquid yeast!
Sorry, I forgot brewing software.

Another reason, other than the price, I am glad I only have one controller is that the solenoid operated gas valve does restrict the gas flow significantly reducing the BTU output of that burner. It does protect the RIMMS from scorching the mash. I still have 2 burners to blast with. The only other drawback is with the auto ignition you will have blow out problems if exposed to the wind. This is a not a set it and forget it system, for safety and flow you just have to babysit!

I am real happy with the results and use of this system, with only 1/3 of the price of the entire system! Believe me the price of the one controller put a beat down on my brew budget, but I am glad I have it. I saved $1300 over the total package and I am getting the same results. My brew day is easier.

Back