• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

fermenting problem

jhildebrand1

Apprentice
Reaction score
after brewing an IPA for 9 days at 68 degrees I lowered the temp to 35 degrees and at that point the bubbler began to flow backwards.  Im wondering if the fluid in the bucket is colder than the ambient air.  Following the law of physics warm air flows to cold

This has happened several times to me. Usually before I cold crash I remove my blow off tube and replace it with a 3 piece airlock filled with StarSan. Yes, it eventually sucks down the sanitizer, so I place a piece of sterile gauze on top of carboy, this lets air flow, but not particles or bugs. However, now, I usually just pay attention to where my fermentation temperature is and pop off the airlock a couple of times throughout the cold crash process to release the vacuum. Others are concerned about oxygenation of the beer, but CO2 is heavier then oxygen and still sits on top of beer. I haven't had any off flavors due to this process.
It's like a garden or children, you have to watch them and nurture them.

It isn't possible for the beer to be lower than the ambient temperature. With a near halving of the temperature, the headspace and the beer will both contract, causing the airlock to inhale.

The function of the airlock is to keep the air and CO2 from mixing. It's a feel-good thing to use sanitizer or alcohol, but plain ol' water is just as effective. Even though CO2 is heavier, if the bucket inhales air, they will mix until evenly dispersed.

Also, a bucket is permeable to air through the plastic, itself. You could beat both issues by racking to a carboy with very little headspace, just before crashing. Just be careful not to churn or splash the beer as it transfers. It will degas a little as it fills the carboy, giving you the nice protective layer of CO2 between the airlock and the beer.

Critters can live in the water in an airlock.  The water at the bottom of the airlock on the beer side can become contaminated by those critters and migrate into the beer.  With a healthy fermentation, it is rare that they will take hold.  However, if your fermentation is slow to get started, there may not be enough alcohol in your beer yet to stop the critters from getting a foothold.

I use star san in my airlock, so that they can't survive in the water in my airlock.

1/2 ounce of StarSan = Less worries

A 1/2 ounce of Star San is very inexpensive too.

The volume contracts as you chill and draws on the airlock fluid. Use star san in the airlock as suggested. Some brewers use a little unflavored vodka addition to the airlock before they crash. I use the simple S airlock w/ star san and place an inverted insulated coffee mug over the airlock when I crash chill. The mug protects the airlock for the drafts in the fridge due to the circulation fan.

Guys, don't misunderstand me. If you want to use starsan, vodka or anything else besides water, knock yourself out! It's your beer. But you're using it as a safeguard against a fermenter inhaling, which really shouldn't be an issue if the wort is properly chilled and you've used a correct yeast pitch. Both of those techniques are far more appropriate for making good beer than a bit of sanitizer where it's minimally effective.

It's all about the positive pressure coming out of the fermenter. An airlock is a classic Pasteur S that prevents outside contamination into a container. You could leave the airlock dry because Pasteur proved  nothing falls up. Plus, the constant flow of gas during fermentation is not going to let anything passively fall into the airlock. During fermentation, water will take on an acidic quality simply from the CO2 and other gasses coming from fermentation. This reaction can turn water cloudy, depending on the mineral profile.

Post fermentation, the liquid in an airlock is simply a barrier between two gasses that want to mix. Alcohol will want to evaporate at room temperature, leaving you with mostly the distilled water they used at bottling after a couple of days.

If your fermenter is inhaling post krausen, then it has too much headspace. It probably needs to be transferred to a container with very little headspace. If you're relying on the same half ounce of sanitizer you used during primary fermentation, then I'm doubtful of it's effectiveness.

If I might just toss in my two cents here; since my last blow-off disaster with an airlock, I don't even take those things out of the drawer anymore - I've converted to a blow-off hose connected to my regular ol' carboy stopper and I'm not looking back!

For crashing, once I've confirmed my FG, I simply take the stopper out, give the top of the carboy a spritz with star-san, spritz a piece of foil and slap it on the carboy and drop the temp to 32 F. Never had an issue with critters falling up and under the foil yet...

Oh, and the cool part is that with the blow-off hose in a flask of <liquid of your choice>, you can hear the bubbling without opening the ferm-fridge to take a peek every once and a while (you know you do this...) You don't have to open it until the music stops.

Back