• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

10 lbs of pils

Wildrover

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hello All,

I just received ten pounds of pils from a homebrew store where I have traditionally ordered my stuff.  Truth is, over the last year or so the quality of the service has been steadily decreasing, I won't name names but I will tell you that it is located in the Midwest.  Anyway, as evidence, I ordered 10lbs of pils to have.  I live in North Dakota and no where near a homebrew store so I have to get stuff online.  I order in semi-bulk, (e.g. 10lbs here and there) to keep on hand.  Well, I ordered ten lbs of pils that I did not want milled but sure enough, it arrived crushed. 

I'm wondering how long it will keep and if time is of the essence, what can I do with it?  there is a local health food store here that has a small amount of homebrew stuff, including just about every dry yeast you can think of.  I have a lot of extra hops too, specifically, 2oz of palisades I'd like to use and the health food store usually has a fair amount of SAAZ and Hallertauer.  If anybody can suggest something, I'm more than willing to give it a shot.  It's not really lagering season yet which is why I'm not biting the bullet and making a pils.  I thought about a blonde ale but its still a little warm here (highs in the 90's expected this week while my house brewery is holding steady at 68). 

thanks for any and all help

WR

I suggest turning it into a learning experience.  Make a SMaSh.  10 lbs. of pils mashed with no specialty grains and one hop variety.  With the Saaz hops, you should be able to make a very refreshing Blonde Ale.  I think the Blonde Ale idea is great.

Thanks, I think I've just about decided the blonde ale is what I'm going to do.  I'm not a huge fan of those but I am a huge fan of having three different kinds of beers of tap (a light beer (as in color), an amber(ish) and a dark) if I make it well, I will drink it.  It just may take a little longer than some of the other beers that I'm a bigger fan of. 

Making blondes are good because they test your ability given how delicate they can be.  Good to do those every once in a while to make sure your chops are still good

WR

Pils malt, Saaz hops, and an ultra clean yeast gets close to a Czech Pils..........SMaSH and an ale knock-off.  See how close you can get? 

Nottingham dry works down to 57F, and is fairly clean below 63F.

How do people feel about S-05 for a dry yeast for this beer?  My issue is more the heat in the brewery, it will be a little bit of a battle keeping it close to 65.  Any recommendations for a hop schedule? 

I've made ale with pils grain and I wasn't that impressed.  As long as it is well sealed the crushed grain should last for a few months anyway. It's up to you, but I'd say wait until lager season.

You say you're no where near a homebrew store. What about health food stores? Often they have a little alcove of homebrewing supplies and are willing to add items to their order for you.  That's how I  get my 55# sacks of uncrushed malt. Sometimes I have to wait a couple weeks for them to do an order, but I end up saving ten dollars or more per bag compared to going to the homebrew shop.

Maine,

You are right, I have a small health food shop here in town who does have a small amount of homebrew supplies.  I also order my big bags of malt from them, for a steal too, I recently got a 50lb bag of marris otter for all of 50 bucks!!  They have a new guy managing that portion of the store and he's taking some time coming up to speed.  I went in yesterday looking for some dry yeast thinking they had a good supply of notty or s-05 and regrettably he didn't have either.  He did have the belgian dry yeast from Fermentis (S or T-58?),  I'm actually thinking about using the pils to make a strong blonde with that yeast.  I've never made one and its still warm enough here that I can let the yeast rise a bit and maybe get soemthing that's really interesting.  We'll see....

WR

That T-58 is good for a dry Belgian yeast.  Good luck whatever you do.

Back