• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Its time to whirlpool

michael h

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am a keggle brewer and am building a new boil kettle to whirlpool, does anyone have experience in the placement of the inlet. I have heard the lower the better, but have seen pro systems with the inlet in the middle of the tank. any feedback is helpfull

The whirlpool port should be lower than the minimum batch size you intend to make. It should be a couple of inches below the wort line to avoid pulling in air or splashing the wort upwards. OTOH, it should be high enough to move the wort at the same speed, in order to avoid shearing (having one part of the wort moving substantially faster than another).

Since a homebrew kettle doesn't have the same weight or inertial issues as a pro kettle, having the whirlpool port 15% to 30% up the side is sufficient.

I just went through this process 2 months ago. I placed the whirlpool inlet height 1 inch higher than the drain valve height on my boil pot. After several brews, I found you had to just tip the tube just slightly up so that the trub pile wasn't disturbed. You still need a strong stir to get it going. I was a disappointed that my March pump barely had the power to keep the wort moving.

Back