• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Decanting boiling wort straight into fermentation tank?

Breadinator

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, new to this forum and beer brewing.  Being a complete novice, i want to know if it is nessecary to cool down the wort in the boiler (40liter urn) before decanting it to the fermentation tank, or can i pour the boiling wort straight into my plastic fermentation tank and place the fementation tank in an ice bath to get the temp down so that i can add the yeast.  (BIAB)

Only problem i can think of is that theres not going to be the same amount of aeration in fermentation liquid as to cooling it down in boiler and then transferring to fermentation tank?

Thanks

You should avoid oxygenating your wort until the temperature has dropped down to 80F.  Oxygenating before that will result in the oxygen binding chemically with various wort compounds.  The fermentation process will later break these binds, resulting in off flavors being produced.  The main off flavors produced are sherry like and cardboard like flavors.

An immersion chiller is a great investment.  Once you have your wort down to 80F, then it's actually advantageous to pour it into your fermenter.  Above 80F, it's not a good thing to do.

And, depending on the plastic, the boiling acidic wort may leach some chemicals from the tank that you don't want in the beer. 

Transferring boiling liquids is dangerous! Visit a regional burn center and listen as they peel flesh off of burn victims.
Be safe, not stupid!

Back