• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Palisade hops?

Wildrover

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I have two ounces of these and was wondering if they're appropriate in either an ESB  or APA, both of which I plan on brewing this coming Friday? 

thanks for the input

WR

For an APA, I would use it as a late edition and dry hop though it can be used for bittering it has characteristics that are better suited for late editions.

For an ESB, you would not want the citrus and grassy earthiness from a late edition. 

IMHO, YMMV.

thanks for the reply, I was thinking the earthiness was consistent with Fuggles which is why I thought ESB.  This hop has me confused, I see the word citrus associated with it a lot but I also see earthiness.  I guess it can be both but when I think of American hops i think citrusy , when I think British hops I think earthy, I don't normally think both for hops that come from either side of the pond. 

I once made a nice APA with only Palisades and Amarillo.  Palisades for bittering and flavor, Amarillo for flavor and aroma.

ML

Thanks for the input, I'm thinking that I'll use them to bitter and maybe run a Cascade Centennial tandem for some hop bursting at the end.  I've become addicted to FWH and then Hop Bursting for my IPAs and APAs (see Gordon Strong's book)

Thanks

WR

I've made an all Palisades Blonde that turned out very nice. I'd recommend using just that hop alone to see what you think of it. Many either love it or hate it. If you have used them before, then disregard.

I ended up bittering an IPA with some Simcoe I had left over and then late hop additions using Palisades and Cascades together.  I figured the citrusy flavors and aroma of the cascades should complement the more floral and earthy characteristics of the Palasides.  Or make a complete mess given the potentially clashing flavors and aromas, we'll see. 

WR

Found some Palisades I forgot I bought, so in they go tomorrow, along with the kitchen sink...........hmmm......Kitchen Sink APA. 

No hops from FWH until about 17 minutes, when the chiller goes in. 

1.25 oz              Chinook [13.00 %] - Mash 90.0 min        Hop          5        11.6 IBUs   
0.50 oz              Simcoe [13.00 %] - Mash 90.0 min        Hop          6        4.6 IBUs     

Amt                  Name                                    Type          #        %/IBU       
0.25 oz              Simcoe [13.00 %] - First Wort 90.0 min  Hop          7        10.5 IBUs   

---BOIL PROCESS---------------------------------
0.25 oz              Chinook [10.75 %] - Boil 17.0 min        Hop          8        4.9 IBUs     
0.25 oz              Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 17.0 min        Hop          9        5.9 IBUs     

3.00 oz              Cascade [8.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min          Hop          13      15.5 IBUs   
1.00 oz              Palisade [8.20 %] - Boil 5.0 min        Hop          14      5.5 IBUs     
0.25 oz              Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min        Hop          15      2.2 IBUs     

Back