• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Whirlfloc vs irish moss

MaltLicker

Forum Moderator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Been using whirlfloc a while:  easy to use, seems to work well.  Recently learned about the proper dosing and using it later in boil. 

Just got probably a decade's supply of irish moss at a competition.  Looked up proper usage, learned about pre-wetting it for 15 mins before adding to boil. 

Anyone used both and have a preference?  Anyone use both in a single batch?  They're both carageenan-based, but wondering if the different formats would be even more effective? 

I use Whirlfloc at a rate of 1 tab per 15 gallons. I add it in the boil at 5 minutes.

The 'raw' form of Irish moss works mostly in the kettle than more refined versions like Whirlfloc and Koppakleer. The lighter particles of whirlfloc can transfer into the fermenter where they will continue to attract and agglomerate cold break. Leaving you with clearer beer.

The wort pH and the grains used will change how well and how much Whirlfloc to use. An all-malt wort will usually have the proper pH of 5.1 to 5.5. Extract brewers don't need as much because a lot of trub reduction happens in manufacturing (though it's incomplete). Higher protein nitrogen grains, like Pils or 6-row, benefit from more Whirlfloc.

Last year, Stone Brewing had chill haze issues. They had cut back on kettle finings (I think they use a powdered form of whirlfloc) and not enough break was being precipitated.

I don't recommend using both in a single batch, simply because it's a bit redundant.

I use either one but prefer Whirlflock as it is easier to use.  I always hydrate Irish Moss.  I add either and add it in the last 15 minutes.  I split a whirlflock tablets (no easy feat by the way) for two batches (I only make 5g).

I found both work equally as well in clearing the beer. 

Back