• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Configuring multiple decoctions / rests

laughingboysbrew

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm trying to configure a recipe I found into BeerSmith for logging.  Any help on how I can accomplish this Mash schedule...

mash in target temp 97F and wait (25 min)
pull decoction
bring decoction up to 133 and rest for 15 min
bring decoction up to 160 and rest for 15 min
bring decoction up to a boil and boil for 10 min
add decoction back to main mash to get mash to 133 then protein rest for 20 min
continue to boil decoction
add more decoction back to main mash to get mash to 154 then sacc rest for 60 min

Can I achieve anything remotely close?  :)

Create the mash rest steps as a mash profile. Put the decoction rise profile in as the notes to the mash steps.

Then, simply print the mash profile as a separate page of the recipe.

Thanks.  I'm also stuck because I am not seeing quantities in BS that I would expect for my batch.  Here’s what I mean:

I have a 10.5 gal batch with equipment profile: 10gallon cooler, 15gal boil (default profile).  Below is the default mash schedule for a Decoction Mash, Single.  However, I manually tweaked the “protein rest” step from the default 126F to 133F and entered water/grain of 1.25 qts/lb.  If I do my math 21lbs * 1.25 = 26.25 qts of water for strike, not 29.45???  Also, everything I read says decoction 1qt / 1lb of grain (plus a little extra just in case).  Here, it’s listed as 9.57qts which is less than half that, and I don’t see a way to change it.  When I open the Sacch rest step to tweak it…there’s an error because "Water to add" is -0.01.  Any ideas what I'm mis-reading?

laughingboysbrew said:
Thanks.  I'm also stuck because I am not seeing quantities in BS that I would expect for my batch.  Here’s what I mean:

I have a 10.5 gal batch with equipment profile: 10gallon cooler, 15gal boil (default profile).  Below is the default mash schedule for a Decoction Mash, Single.  However, I manually tweaked the “protein rest” step from the default 126F to 133F and entered water/grain of 1.25 qts/lb.  If I do my math 21lbs * 1.25 = 26.25 qts of water for strike, not 29.45???  Also, everything I read says decoction 1qt / 1lb of grain (plus a little extra just in case).  Here, it’s listed as 9.57qts which is less than half that, and I don’t see a way to change it.  When I open the Sacch rest step to tweak it…there’s an error because "Water to add" is -0.01.  Any ideas what I'm mis-reading?

Just noticed the check box for "Adjust Mash Vol for Deadspace" - when I uncheck that, I get the correct strike water temp. 

Back