• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Feature Request: gravity v. volume adjustment calculator

brianbgarber

Apprentice
Reaction score
For example, I ended up with ~6 gallons of Pumpkin Ale at 1.060 when I was aiming for 5 gallons at 1.086. I'd like to have a calculator in BeerSmith Mobile to show me what the gravity should have been at 6 gallons so that I would know that my mash efficiency was horrible and I did a terrible job sparging! *yes, I used 1lb of rice hulls!  :p

You can use the dilution tool to figure this out.  It can be found under the tools menu > dilution tool.  You just plug in your target volume and target gravity and then choose water as your diluent.  Enter the amount of water to equal your final volume and it will calculate the expected gravity of the mixture.

In your case, if you were aiming for 5 gallons at 1.086 gravity, you should have a gravity of 1.072 at six gallons.

Hmmm, I don't have that under the tools menu in the mobile app. Now, I did buy the lite version first and then upgraded to the full version when it came out... maybe I'm missing functionality???

I think the math is linear. Not one of my strong points so the formula might be easier than I make it.

6/5= %83

so %17 of 86 is 14.6

so 1.086 - 14.6 would be 1.0714 

or something like that.

Back