• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Easy backup?

PhotogScott

Brewer
Reaction score
In my case I keep a thumb drive attached to my laptop. Is there an easy way to backup all essential data?
I need a way to backup daily and transfer from the brewhouse laptop to the office tower

In Windows version I beleive you simply make a copy of the Beersmith2 folder in My Documents.

Some people also create a folder in Dropbox or Google Drive and keep it sync'd to the cloud.  Then you could download the latest files to the other system, rather than relying on the "sneaker net." 

In windows, I just right click the directory and Send to a Compressed Folder.  That makes a compressed ZIP file backup.  I usually drop the zip file onto my google drive.

So many programs have a simple 1 click backup, usually in the "file" drop down.  Its a small PITA to open up a windows explorer, hunt for beersmith2, then drag & drop the folder to another drive

PhotogScott said:
So many programs have a simple 1 click backup, usually in the "file" drop down.  Its a small PITA to open up a windows explorer, hunt for beersmith2, then drag & drop the folder to another drive

I don't see that option ever.  What programs are you referring to.

In Windows 7, you can quickly open a Windows Explorer Window in Beersmith2  by selecting File then Open File.  You should be in My Documents/Beersmith2 already, if not click My Documents on the left panel the right click on Beersmith2 Right Click on Beersmith2 then Send to Zip file.  When done, close the window.  You can leave the zip file there or copy it off somewhere else.

In Windows 7, you can quickly open a Windows Explorer Window in Beersmith2 the same way. Selecting File then Open File.  You should be in My Documents/Beersmith2 already, if not click My Documents on the left panel the right click on Beersmith2 and select Open in New Window.  Or you can simply right click and Copy Beersmith2 then Paste it in a new path of your choice like your Drop Box or Google Drive.

[/quote]

I don't see that option ever.  What programs are you referring to.

[/quote]

Quicken is the most recognizable that comes to mind

Do you have to search for the backup or do you program it to go to the flash drive when you click backup?

grathan said:
Do you have to search for the backup or do you program it to go to the flash drive when you click backup?

Yes, you ask once which drive/folder to backup to just once and future backups go to that location.  But this is Quicken, Anytime, MasterCook etc programs.  No searching in windows to find sub-folders of sub-folders, dragging and dropping.  2 clicks and data files are backed up! Its a pretty basic feature that I think should be included in the next upgrade

If your in default My Recipes view you can click File->Export all. After you name the file the first time you can just click the down arrow to select it. That is 3 clicks though..

Is this cross-platform? Can I sync $HOME/.beersmith2 to My Documents/BeerSmith2 ?

grathan said:
If your in default My Recipes view you can click File->Export all. After you name the file the first time you can just click the down arrow to select it. That is 3 clicks though..

Thats fine for recipes but what about profiles and ingredients?

Back