• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Making a small beer with beer smith

Reaction score
Just made two short beers from original 5 gallon batches of imperial beers, an IIPA and an Imp Stout, one with 20 and the other with 25 pounds of grain. Starting gravity (SG) for the original beers were 1.080 and 1.095 or 20 and 23 Brix. For the short beers I added 4 gallons of 165 F water to the spent grain in the MT, let sit 1 hour and got starting gravity's of  1.040, 10 brix for each beer. This should have netted 2.5 gallons of 4.5% beer but got about 2 gal IPA and about 1.5 Imp Stout, both at 5.2% ABV.

If you use BeerSmith for short beers what settings do you use? Here is what I did:

Set equipment to 4 gal brew pot, set the type to PM, set the style to a regular version of the style, IPA and Stout and scale down to a 3 gallon batch. BeerSmith scales down both the grain and hop quantities. This works OK but the SG is always much higher than the measured SG. To correct this I adjust the scaled down grain bill so the estimated SG equals the measured SG.

This throws the hops / IBU's off so I set the desired IBU to the original recipe. Beersmith then adjusts the hop bill. This method works OK, I think, but takes several steps to do.

Looking to see if anyone has a less cumbersome or more accurate way to make short beers using Beersmith.

If making short beers is not already a function I missed in BrewSmith, it should be.

Back