• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Brewing from Vancouver, WA

Brewmex41

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hey folks. My name is Domingo and I'm new to BeerSmith forums, been on HBT for a while now.
For christmas, my wife's grandparents got me a Mr Beer. Did 3 batches then jumped into all grain.
I dont think hard drugs are as addictive as this hobby.
My first brew was Widmer Drop Top clone, which I did three times and never quite got it perfect.

Now I am looking to build a single tier brew stand, but being a Brewer on a Budget, I will have to do it piece by piece, starting with pieces I can use first.

Welcome from Raymond! 
There are lots of guys from your area on here and what sounds like a good brew club.  The club might be a great way to get things going.  Lots of info and I would imagine plenty of people that would be willing to help guide you.

Welcome, once again.  We exchanged messages earlier.  I hope you got my information on our brew club.  You're welcome to come to my house whenever I'm brewing.  It's just that much more enjoyable when you have someone to share the experience with and to share a beer or two with.

Hey all you WA and NW people...........what is Kent, WA like?  I got a job lead today from a company out of Kent, WA. 

I'm guessing ripe with great beer options.  How about homebrew clubs?  Any ideas?

Actually, a coworker of mine up in the Seattle area gets his brewing supplies at Larry's Brewing Supply in Kent, WA.

http://www.larrysbrewsupply.com/index.html

He swears by them.

How is Kent, WA?  Very wet from the end of September until about June.  From June to the end of September it's very, very dry.

Great fishing, hunting, hiking opportunities all aroud the area.  Close to the ocean or the mountains.  Not that far to Vancouver, BC or Portland, Oregon.  It's a great place to live.  The rainy season is more of a nuisance than anything else.  I don't even carry an umbrella in my car.  It's usually just drizzly all the time, and downpours aren't as common as the rest of the country thinks we have.

Lots of brewpubs and microbreweries all over the place.  There are plenty of homebrew clubs up that way.  I live two hours south and we have three large homebrew stores and about six homebrew clubs in Vancouver, WA and Portland, Oregon.

Your brewing habit won't suffer at all.

MaltLicker said:
Hey all you WA and NW people...........what is Kent, WA like? 
Kent is like an overpopulated city with lots of traffic!  I avoid anything north of Olympia like the plague. 
On the beer front, I know that there are some decent homebrew stores up there.

Kent, 123K people. Still lots of rural area, but lots of urban area also. I don't know what you are used to. I live in a city of 800 people, most citys seem HUGE to me. Any place in WA is close to parks, sports, recreation, just depending on what you want and what you are used to.
Beer Heaven.
Work took me to Southern CA for a few years. I'm staying above the Columbia until they drag me out.
For me, 800 people is over twice the size of where I grew up, and there's a traffic light to boot.
I come from the Northeast. Yeah it rains in WA, but you don't have to shovel it.

Just my thoughts

Ed

Well I'm with you on the 800 being more than big enough.  I like neighbors about a mile up the road and elk in the yard.
I agree about not shoveling the rain.  I lived in North Idaho for several years.  I used to say that very thing when I had to shovel in the morning and after work.

That's funny.  As a kid I lived near Spokane one year, after leaving NC, and the first morning with snow I thought "No school for a week!" 

And then a plow drove by with a bus behind it. 

Interestingly, the weather in Spokane is nothing like the weather in the Seattle area.  The weather in Spokane is more like the weather in the midwest, such as Ohio, Indiana or Illinois.  It's sometimes surprising how a mountain range (in this case, the Cascades) can have such an influence on the weather patterns.

Scott Ickes said:
Welcome, once again.  We exchanged messages earlier.  I hope you got my information on our brew club.  You're welcome to come to my house whenever I'm brewing.  It's just that much more enjoyable when you have someone to share the experience with and to share a beer or two with.

I would enjoy that. I will be at the next meeting in november.
I'm getting ready to make a 2 gal batch kitchen sink DIPA with the leftover hops i have. Planning on aging half the batch on oak spirals
and a 1 gal Mosaic apa today.

We are having a club brew at my house on November 9th.  You're welcome to stop by for that!  I live at 16007 NE 101st Way in Vancouver, WA.  We'll be starting at 9 a.m. and going until about 4 to 5 p.m.  We should have 7 different brew set ups running all at once.

Back