• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Finishing Yeast for Raison D'Saison

GoodisBeer

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Planned on bottling Zainasheff and Palmer's Raison D'Saison this weekend. Decided to check FG today and found it sweet to taste and a corrected FG of 1026; needed to be at 1009. This was expected, the authors reported possible difficulty of Wyeast Labs #3724 to dry/ferment out completely.  They recommend using WL001, Wyeast 1056, US-05, or dry champagne yeast. Any recommendations?  Should there be a starter, slurry, or just straight pitch?

My rule of thumb is that if it is a dry yeast, just sprinkle it on.  Champagne yeasts are usually dry and work well for this.  Your flavor profile is pretty much set.  I've never actually used liquid yeast in this manner, so I can't answer that part of the question.  I did a 16.5 percent tootsie roll stout and I put the dry champagne yeast in to make sure I had healthy yeast for bottle conditioning.  I just sprinkled it in and left it for about a week.  It was at 16% when I put it in and at 16.5% when I bottled it a week later. 

It's still conditioning.  I did try a bottle and it's starting to carbonate up, just rather slowly.  With your beer, it should work it's magic quite quickly though.

The most consistent recommendation I've seen is to use a high-alcohol-tolerance yeast, and get it started, and pitch it at high krausen, spent wort and all. 

The alcohol already present, zero oxygen, and lower pH make it harder for a simple pitch to get going, so the yeast need to be eating already, at optimum activity levels.  And you hope they keep eating. 

Try a pack of Belle Saison. I pitched it in a five-gallon batch of Patersbier at 1.047 a couple of weeks ago; it was down to 1.004 the last time I checked. Nice Belgian character.

Ok..pitched Wlp715 Champagne yeast today.....I'll keep ya posted.

Checked the fermenter this morning and it's at 1.009 FG, four days after repitching. Exactly where BS and I figured.  Cold crashing now for BOTTLING DAY Saturday!

Back