• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Greetings from Tacoma

BlackIslandBrewer

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hey folks, I'm new to this forum, but not to brewing. Started with a homebrewing kit in 1995, and over 10 years worked up to a 3-tier all-grain setup with a Gott cooler/Phil's Phalse Bottom mash tun. Stopped brewing in 2006 due to life, but picked it up again on 2011, having to essentially start over because I had to sell off most of my equipment. Kinda nice, in a way, because as I got back up to speed, I found that so much had changed in homebrewing. I've been gradually been able to put a new system back together, and did it in a way I'm feeling pretty satisfied with, needing only a few more tweaks.

Some of the best changes I've seen:

Better info on the net - used to be just Homebrew Digest and rec.craft.brewing, now my faves include here, HBT, & The Brewing Network
Better books - Charlie P, Randy M and Ray D have been joined by John P and Jamil Z. Still waiting to buy the Yeast/Hops/Water series
Better software - BeerSmith much better than ProMash
Better techniques - I love having a whirlpool port on my boil kettle, I love having a Chugger pump for mash recirc and whirlpooling, I love having great yeast starters, I love fermentation temperature control, among other things. I'm just now trying yeast slanting for the first time.

I thought I'd like to be part of this forum as well as the others, because the BS software is so flexible and powerful, sometimes I need help sorting out what the h3ll it is I'm supposed to do with it. But, I have to say, my first AG batch in 7 years hit all of the numbers EXACTLY of the first try, after making some good measurements on my equipment and getting it in the Equipment Profile, and making some educated guesses on conversion and efficiency. And the knowledge I've gained across the whole of the brewing community really impacted the ease of that brewday!

Looking forward to being here!

Life is Good!
David

Welcome from down Souther that Sharps is from (Vancouver, WA).  Actually, Sharps and I will be brewing together on Saturday, November 9th down here in Vancouver.  We're going to have a barrell brew day with my local home brew club at my home. 

You're welcome to make the 2 hour drive down and have a few homebrews with us.  We're starting at 9 a.m.  Address is 16007 NE 101st Way, Vancouver, WA 98682.

Back