• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Adding Munton's Unmalted Barley to Beersmith??

msjulian

Apprentice
Reaction score
I had a friend give me a 1 pound bag of Munton's Roasted Black Barley Unmalted. I do not see it on the list of grains in Beersmith and I can not find any specs on this grain to add it. Does anyone know the specs to add to Beersmith??

It is like Black Patent.  I would just copy or use black patent.

This is unmalted barley that has been extensively roasted until it reaches an extreme black color. Black Barley contributes the signature coffee flavors associated with Porters and Stouts. When used in more moderate levels it will impart a slight dry bitterness. In fuller amounts Black Barley adds coffee to charred flavors. Can add colors from dark ruby to black depending on the amount. A must for Stouts and most Porters. Can be used in slighter amounts in Scottish and Red ales. General amounts range from 2 ounces to 1.5 pounds in a 5 gallon beer recipe.

•Grain Type: Roasted
•Approximate Lovibonds: 485°
•Origin: United Kingdom

Back