• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

LARGER THAN EXPECTED VOLUME

mjatrucker

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I brewed an APA yesterday.  I built a recipe within the software, utilizing the pre programmed equipment profiles.  I adhered to the water volumes expressed by the software for the mash and sparging.  I took a gravity reading pre boil and I was off from what was calculated.  The software indicated a pre boil gravity of 1.060, my actual was 1.043.  I knew something was off.  After the boil, I ended up with 6 gallons of wort.  It should have been just over 5.  I understand this is the reason for the lower gravity reading.  What I am puzzled by is why I ended up with a larger volume after the boil than what was calculated.  Any input would be appreciated!

Mark

Depending upon your actual set up, the pre-programmed settings may have had too high of a trub loss or deadspace allowance.  You really need to personalize the profiles for equipment and mash profiles to match your particular set up with this (or any) brewing simulation software.  The additional water recovered from the default trub loss and dead space might account for a good deal of the low specific gravity reading.  Without seeing the recipe and actual volumes, it would be difficult to fully diagnose anything further.

One really needs to personalize the brewing equipment for ones variables. ie. Loss to trub, chill and fermenter. Boil off. Loss to mash tun. ETC. This should take 3-5 brews to adjust equipment. Equipment profile is not a plug n play, it needs individual brewer tweeking. Goodluck.

Read this:      http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,5140.0.html

Thanks for all the input everyone.  I have already started to adjust the equipment profile on the software!

Back