• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

It won't scale to my equipment!

joemc33

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I am having issues with The full mobile version not scaling my recipes. I watched the tutorial and created my profile for 3 gallons. I don't brew anything over 3 gallons. So, scaling down recipes is the most important feature for me. I load a recipe and pick my equipment profile and and scaling profile which are the same and nothing scales. I even tried to scale up at it doesn't scale.

Any advice outside of getting a refund?

Hi,
  If you set the equipment profile to 3 gallons (for instance) and then scale a recipe to the same profile (3 gallons) nothing will happen since the two profiles are the same!  However if I download a 10 gallon recipe from the cloud, and scale it to my 3 gallon profile it will do the scaling properly.  That is basically how it works.

If you are still having trouble just drop me a note via the "contact us" page and I will try to walk you through it.

Brad

I have what I believe is a similar issue.  I am using BeerSmith Mobile Version 2.01.059.  I have modified my equipment profile to a Batch volume of 5.50 gallons.  When I find a recipe from the "find recipes" button.  I save it either to my cloud recipes or save it locally, and then I edit it.  For instance, I found a 10 gallon recipe, and then I edit it and choose my equipment profile.  When I save it I see where it changes the recipe batch info at the top, but it does not make any changes to my ingredients ( I would expect them to be about half of what was originally).  Also, if I go back in to edit, it shows my gravity, bitterness and color all the way to the right side of the scale.  I see a button under "profiles for recipe" that says "scale recipe size", but when I select it I go straight into my equipment profile.

My question is should BeerSmith also be editing the amount of ingredients as I change the batch size?  I've watched the videos and read for an answer on here, but to no avail.

-------
Update:
With further trial and error it appears that it works if the first thing I choose to do is "scale recipe size".  Then everything is changed and stays in ratio.  I don't quite understand why I can't choose my equipment profile first, but it does appear to make a difference. 

Hi,
  Yes you need to use the scale recipe button.  The reason is that setting your equipment is something you might do while composing a new recipe (for instance) and in that case you certainly don't want it scaling the ingredients you may have already entered.  So we have a separate scale recipe function for that.  There is a video on this function I believe as well at http://beersmith.com/video

Brad

Back