• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Export/80 recipe

ashman

Apprentice
Reaction score
I just brewed a Scottish Ale/Export 80 and I'm confused that it came out darker than Beersmith stated.  I won't know how it tastes for a few weeks which will be the deciding factor, however the color threw me off and made me worry prematurely.  Beersmith listed it at 17 SRM however the color looks to be more like 25-30 SRM.  Is there a way to measure color on the finished product? 

I'm probably just overthinking and need to wait on the finished product.

My recipe:

4oz Biscuit Malt
4oz Peat Smoked Malt
4oz Roasted Barley
4oz Victory Malt
8oz Caramel/Crystal 20L
8oz Carared
7lbs Light LME
1oz East Kent Goldings 5.5% at 60min, 1oz East Kent Goldings at 15min
1 Package Safale English Ale S-04

Was the Lovibond on the ingredients used identical to what was selected in BS2? 

Water volumes exactly what was entered in Equipment profile? 

Color going in, and dilution/concentration across XX gallons would be the big variables.  Since it's darker, look for higher Lovibonds and less water actually used.  Or told BS2 you'd use more than you did?

I did check and while not being exactly what I had they were very close.  The only thing really dark in this beer was the Roasted Barley.  Ah well, I'll just scale that down next time or find something else. 

Of course it might be totally different when it finishes. 

I have found that just about everything I have made has been darker looking than the "advertised" picture.  My personal feeling is that looking at a 16oz glass is a FAR distance from looking at 1 inch in a glass with a very specific light wavelength ONLY (which is how SRM is calculated).  To me taste is a LOT more important than color.

Back