• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

White Labs "Best Use Before Date"

breibrew

Master Brewer
Reaction score
White Labs doesn't use a "Packaged Date" using their "Best Use Before Date" how does that relate to package date?

White and Wyeast each suggest that a fixed 20% of the original 100% in the package dies each month.  So five months shelf life is it.  So for a May 31 "use by" date, I would enter Jan 1. 

Interestingly, this also means that we never pitch the 100 billion cells they claim is "pitchable."  I just bought two Wye packages and they were 30-days and 60-days old.

Thanks. That's why I may be switching back to dry yeast. Much longer shelf life and have always had good experiences.

Yea, double the cell count too, if you rehydrate properly. 

The trade-off is selection;  there's what?  Two options for Belgians:  T-58 and Belle Saison? 

I don't remember exactly who posted it...but in the yeast harvesting thread someone had a wonderful idea that made me "smh" at the simple beauty of it.  Harvest yeast and make a periodic starter of it to keep it "fresh" if you're not able to use it in a timely fashion.  I have a ESB going right now that I'm sure I'll harvest the yeast from and I will use this idea. 

The variety of liquid yeast makes it by far better for my uses.  I would rather endure the hassle of starters than to settle for generic dry yeast.

Back