• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Batch sparge FG Question

Andrewqld

Forum Moderator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hi all,
Any batch spargers out there want to have a shot at this?

I have read Denny's great article on batch Sparging and have put his method into practice.

The question I have is "What do most people get in the way of SG readings for their final run off?"

All of the beers I have done with this method use a double batch sparge but I have noticed my final runnings are up around 1.020, is this normal?
My efficiency into the kettle is around the 70% mark, but I was wondering if I am losing some of the good stuff to the mash.
What is the SG of most peoples final runnings?

Cheers
Andrew

I don't take reading for each run off.

I just check the kettle gravity.  I am getting 75% in the kettle.

I guess I don't worry about the SG of the run off if I hit my kettle and OG numbers.  I usually do.

Oh,  I only to one run batch sparge after I drain the tun.

Don

The bottom line is assuming you are using 10 pounds of grain, approx 1.2 gallons will be retained by the grain,  1.2 * 20 (1.020 final runoff) gives you about 22-23 total gravity points out of 370.  That means that you are leaving about 5% of the potential behind so you are 95% into the boil (assuming no dead space losses).  Sounds pretty good to me.  Don't worry about it.

Fred

Back