• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Dry hopping + Cold crashing

Lord McAle

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am pretty new to homebrewing and also new to this forum. I am from the Netherlands and just brewed my 2nd batch 2 weeks ago. I am brewing this recipe:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/15-minute-cascade-pale-ale-210253/

It has been fermenting nicely at 68 degrees for 14 days now. Now I want to do the dry hopping, with whole hop leaf. I plan not to rack to a secondary.

First question: I plan to use a hop bag. Is it a problem if the bag keeps floating? I can put some weight in the bag to make it sink, but then it will be in contact with the yeast cake. don't know what's best.

Second question: I read a lot about cold crashing, so I want to try this as well. I plan to cold crash at 41 degrees for 3 days. Should I leave the dry hop in the fermenter or not?

Looking forward to your advice. THanks in advance!

I just put three heavy pieces of stainless steel fittings in a bag with 2.5 oz of leaf hops, and they still floated the entire time.  So don't worry about hitting the yeast cake.

I sanitized a long stir rod and pushed them down every day. 

As to the cold crashing...........many "experts" are now saying they leave dry hops in for 4-6 days at the most, to reduce contact time and any vegetal flavors from the hops sitting too long.  So I would go by the total days on the hops rather than whether they get crashed or not.  You may get a slightly more clear beer if they hops are not in the fermenter when crashed. 

Back